Tuxford North in the modern era - What if it survived?

eddydde

A victim of the railway cuts and closures of the 50s and 60s, Tuxford once had 3 stations (4 if you count Dukeries Jn High and Low level seperately) all of which were closed in the 1950s and little evidence remains that there ever were stations on the ECML, however with my layout I hope to imagine what might've been had Tuxford North been spared and kept on to the present day...so here's the plan:

I have a layout, but this was made when I was younger and generally is quite "toy"-like so am hoping to get started with some proper solid scenic foundation and figured this project would add a lot more of a "fun" aspect to my modelling.

Tuxford North had 2 passenger platforms and, judging from photos, a goods dock connected to the 1st platform. My plan is to imagine the goods dock is converted into a DMU terminus platform for use on services via the LD&ECR (which I will touch on momentarily), and ECML services would be stopping roughly every 4 hours under timetabled working (On London-York stoppers, passengers for Leeds would change at Retford or Doncaster). Station managing company will most likely be LNER, with Hull Trains also making stops less frequently throughout the day. A Class 153 (and eventually 156 and 158) will be used on the LDECR connection services which will use the LDECR to get to Lincoln in one direction, and Worksop in the other.

Freight traffic on the other hand will be mostly intermodal and coal, with the LDECR also being used for occasional freight diversions. I'm going to be using strong imagination here as Thoresby Colliery closed in 2015 but will also have Coal traffic running to/from it from Doncaster Down Decoy. Intermodal will be typical ECML traffic, just depends on the stock I can get my hands on...

I hope this plan makes some sense! I plan to use the bridges to hide the curves of my layout, and potentially reworking the plan for the LDECR/ECML connection in order for it to be single track and the other line be used for housing a tamper or thunderbird loco...the possibilities are endless!

image.png.30da1cdbe9431388d2717d0536da4db2.png

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, and tips for building the structures for the station would be greatly appreciated, as at the minute all I have are a few planks of wood!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BrushType4 said:

Hi,

There is this thread if you haven't already seen that has some potentially useful pictures

Tuxford

Yes! Thankyou, I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest and have been gathering my own photos from the era, trying to think what the station would've been like in modern times.

2 hours ago, BrushType4 said:

Have a look at Welwyn North for what it might be like in these days. Similar architecture and on the same line.

Oh wow! That is a lot more similar than I realised. I will have to use this as more inspiration for my layout, I think the buildings are very similar but I believe the Tuxford station was beige bricked

Thankyou very much for your help and knowledge, it is massively appreciated :)

19 hours ago, Curlew said:

To be prototypical, you will need spectacular derailments 😉

OIP.jpg.f22e76b276d4405e91313871fa11f919.jpg

Found that image on a random Google search.

The goods shed was red brick, confirmed on the Wikipedia page on Tuxford North.

With the state of my current trackwork I'm sure this won't be an issue 🤣

• Funny 2

image.png.d8b7e312a5ae0738e6ceccedc5757fc3.png

Attached is a photo of the bridge I wish to recreate, and I think I might use the Metcalfe Models PO240 viaduct kit

po240.jpg.f9b204a467dc9aeec1bb81493161599a.jpg

It might take some adapting, but am sure I could make it look as close as possible!

Anyone have a better suggestion perhaps?

Edited by eddydde
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/640975/IS453601011702423485

This image seems to show the freight platform as actually being its own seperate unit rather than being off the back of Platform 1, now I'm unsure whether or not to include this in my adaptation...

I'm going to see how space fares up, as would like enough space to ideally dock a 3 car Class 101 (although will be normally based in late 2018ish)

Also...going to begin practice scratch building of the actual station building and other structures so will provide updates in due course!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

image.png.551e0c7539632bee6e41b190bdaafb5f.png

Work has started on the platforms! I will look into materials for the actual building, found some great photos on railway herald so will colour match that...updates to come in due course!

As a sidenote, I do have a layout which is being upgraded, extended and the track replaced to accomodate for Tuxford North, so this will be shown when it's in more of a "showoff" condition...

Happy new year to everyone! Here's to a great year of modelling for us all.

Edited by eddydde

On 28/11/2023 at 04:24, eddydde said:

A victim of the railway cuts and closures of the 50s and 60s, Tuxford once had 3 stations (4 if you count Dukeries Jn High and Low level seperately) all of which were closed in the 1950s and little evidence remains that there ever were stations on the ECML, however with my layout I hope to imagine what might've been had Tuxford North been spared and kept on to the present day...so here's the plan:

I have a layout, but this was made when I was younger and generally is quite "toy"-like so am hoping to get started with some proper solid scenic foundation and figured this project would add a lot more of a "fun" aspect to my modelling.

Tuxford North had 2 passenger platforms and, judging from photos, a goods dock connected to the 1st platform. My plan is to imagine the goods dock is converted into a DMU terminus platform for use on services via the LD&ECR (which I will touch on momentarily), and ECML services would be stopping roughly every 4 hours under timetabled working (On London-York stoppers, passengers for Leeds would change at Retford or Doncaster). Station managing company will most likely be LNER, with Hull Trains also making stops less frequently throughout the day. A Class 153 (and eventually 156 and 158) will be used on the LDECR connection services which will use the LDECR to get to Lincoln in one direction, and Worksop in the other.

Freight traffic on the other hand will be mostly intermodal and coal, with the LDECR also being used for occasional freight diversions. I'm going to be using strong imagination here as Thoresby Colliery closed in 2015 but will also have Coal traffic running to/from it from Doncaster Down Decoy. Intermodal will be typical ECML traffic, just depends on the stock I can get my hands on...

I hope this plan makes some sense! I plan to use the bridges to hide the curves of my layout, and potentially reworking the plan for the LDECR/ECML connection in order for it to be single track and the other line be used for housing a tamper or thunderbird loco...the possibilities are endless!

image.png.30da1cdbe9431388d2717d0536da4db2.png

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, and tips for building the structures for the station would be greatly appreciated, as at the minute all I have are a few planks of wood!

I'd put a 'Y' point on the lower of the LD & EC lines and make that the running line. The upper line could be used to store the tamper. It would be an interesting movement to get it onto the main line. Modern practice might have a crossover in the ECML to gain access to the second (Up?) line. Gets rid of two diamond crossings.

Edited by 62613

On 02/01/2024 at 11:58, 62613 said:

I'd put a 'Y' point on the lower of the LD & EC lines and make that the running line. The upper line could be used to store the tamper. It would be an interesting movement to get it onto the main line. Modern practice might have a crossover in the ECML to gain access to the second (Up?) line. Gets rid of two diamond crossings.

Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely agree the original plan doesn't need the two diamond crossovers, will look into adding a Y point to the plan, hope to be able to acquire and lay trackwork within the next few months (baseboard progress permitting)

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/661078/IS499056011706336345

This is a good picture which shows the freight platform in clear view, so perhaps this is how I'll approach the DMU platform (Although I may extend the ECML platform Newark Northgate style) unless in modern times it would've become a car park.

https://www.railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/640500/IS499056011706336345

This is a good photo for the building colours, however still very mixed on what colour to go for. Picture one shows it as a more biege-y colour (especially compared to the goods shed which still stands today) whereas picture 2 it looks a bit more orangey...I may go for a colour similar to Retford Station.

• 1 month later...

image.png.5a3e7ae75e184454a4b3cf5fe2b0bec5.png

Apologies for the lack of updates as of late! Life gets busy but still find time to play trains.

I have been doing some experimentation with different bits I might build for my station. To the left there is a flower planter which I intend to weather up, fill with model soil and make some plants, on the right is my first attempt at scratch building, with the door and window being the test this time.

The next goal is to build the waiting shelter on P2 (even if nowadays this would've most likely been a bus shelter, but I find little fun in that!), however this building does mean we encounter our first proper hurdle of the project...this being the lack of photos of the shelter, there's one I've found so far which shows the side view but what the front looked like is anyones guess.
Because of this, I will just look at other similar structures and make something roughly the same.

image.png.5e29da16ede433a34cfa143850f2a969.png

As an extra, it seems the waiting shelter was not big at all, if you look closely at the roof you can see just how small the shelter was.

Assuming it would've been open with no door, and made of wood with a tiled roof? If anyone has any information or photos of similar shelters please do share! Many thanks :)