Looking to replace my station building

AyJay

Well the mystery deepens, Rovex.

Yes, the photocopies are 2mm scale, but I have never owned that book.

I suppose it is possible that more than one book contains the same drawings. I’ll add this one to my wanted list.

Thank you

On 27/12/2023 at 09:14, AyJay said:

Nick.  Thank you, yes I have just seen your PM's.  I did a search around and discovered that my copy of the Vivien Thompson book was saved from the charity shop clear-out that I did some time back, so I do have the drawings for Wokingham.  I do also have photocopies of drawings for Much Wenlock and Wateringbury, both of them I am drawn to and I think I may choose one of them. However, the problem is that I don't know which books they came from and I don't think that the photocopies are 1:1 scale. So can you indicate which is which please?

I'm banned from doing anything creative (i.e. messy) in the house now, freshly redecorated and new carpets throughout.  So any work will have to wait until the spring, when I can get back to surviving more than 5min's at a go in my shed.  My first stage in making a model is normally to do a quick mock-up out of cereal-box cardboard, just to see what it looks like.

As @rovex has suggested, the first Chris Leigh book contains the Much Wenlock drawings, accompanied by a good selection of photos.  Your copy may have come from Model Railway Constructor, in which Chris described in detail his creation of a 4mm model of that station.  Regarding the drawings I sent to you, @AyJay, if you try to save them to your hard drive, you should see that the filename has the author's initials and the name of the station.  Wateringbury is in John Minnis's SECR book.

As for scales, you are, admittedly, rather at the mercy of a number of factors - hopefully the author has prepared the drawing as accurately as he could, but there is no guarantee the publishers have actually reduced them to scale to fit the book format, which usually results in the drawings being reproduced at 2mm to the foot, but mistakes have happened, and then, in the scanning/copying process there is the potential for more distortion, compounded by the printing process, when there is no guarantee that 100% actually means that! I tend to import a scanned drawing into, dare I say it, PowerPoint (other drawing packages are available) and then, using known dimensions, enlarge or reduce the drawing to the matching size.  I then export it as a PDF as my printer seems happier with scaling PDF's, and there are usually a couple of draft runs until I get the printed output to match the drawing. I am glad you propose to create simple mock-ups, as I am sure that will make it easier to decide what fits best.  I quite like playing around with the image to provide a bit of colour, and a more realistic image, which can be stuck to your cardboard, which does save having to mark out the building outline.  A few minutes work on a drawing from the John Minnis book produced this image. Screenshot2023-12-26224415.png.7fb80e22ce60c8500ea4e8e5947b93b7.png

As can be seen, this drawing has a scale bar, which makes the correct scaling simple.  For those that don't have such a bar, or any dimensions that can be used, it may be a matter of trusting the printed drawing, and taking a measurement from the original, or finding the footprint using NLS georeferenced maps or other sources which provide a method of measurement.  For the record, the drawings for Much Wenlock measure 214mm for the overall frontage, which wold be 428mm in 4mm, or 107 feet overall.  Wateringbury's drawings, unfortunately, have been printed across two pages, and it is not possible to provide an overall measurement, because of the binding margin , but the tallest chimney measures, from platform level, 87mm on the 2mm drawing, so it should be 174mm high in 4mm. (The overall length is approximately 260mm at 2mm or 130 feet, if all the smaller ancillary buildings are included)

Thanks for all that Nick.  It had never occurred to me to print out the views and paste them onto a mock-up, a bit better than cereal-box grey.  I just need to persuade my old printer to talk to my new laptop (Oh the trials of keeping ones technology up-to-date!)

I have taken another look at the drawings you posted me and after measuring how much space that I have to play with, I think that Adisham, Groombridge and Hellingly will be too big (long) for the available space without serious reworking.  Pewsey is pretty, but I really wanted something a bit bigger and more imposing.  So that leaves Lingfield to add to the short list.

Coming back to Wateringbury....  It's a bit worrying that I only have the front and rear views as drawings;  does that mean that there were no end-view drawings available?  I have been searching around for the John Minnis book, South East & Chatham Railway;  Amazon has a copy, but at a much higher price than I am willing to pay. There is no sign of it in Oxfordshire Libraries or the Oxfam website.  I'm reluctant to go for the copy found on ebay, in case the book does not have the views I lack.

Bingo!

A further search on the internet revealed a website 'archive.org' that has a copy of the John Minnis book.

Logging in, I was able to check out the book and it does indeed have the end views of Wateringbury.

So I took copies of the pages I needed, attached. What is missing is a plan view.  So my next step will be to dig out my printer and look into how I get them working together.    Assuming I can get printouts, I will then look them over closely and see If I can produce a plan view from what the four side views tell me.

southeasternchat0000minn_0042.jpg

7 hours ago, AyJay said:

Thanks for all that Nick.  It had never occurred to me to print out the views and paste them onto a mock-up, a bit better than cereal-box grey.  I just need to persuade my old printer to talk to my new laptop (Oh the trials of keeping ones technology up-to-date!)

I have taken another look at the drawings you posted me and after measuring how much space that I have to play with, I think that Adisham, Groombridge and Hellingly will be too big (long) for the available space without serious reworking.  Pewsey is pretty, but I really wanted something a bit bigger and more imposing.  So that leaves Lingfield to add to the short list.

Coming back to Wateringbury....  It's a bit worrying that I only have the front and rear views as drawings;  does that mean that there were no end-view drawings available?  I have been searching around for the John Minnis book, South East & Chatham Railway;  Amazon has a copy, but at a much higher price than I am willing to pay. There is no sign of it in Oxfordshire Libraries or the Oxfam website.  I'm reluctant to go for the copy found on ebay, in case the book does not have the views I lack.

I’m a bit surprised that you had to look elsewhere for the rest of the drawings for Wateringbury as they were all part of the PM I sent you. I also don’t see why you think Adisham is too long, as the coloured up drawing I submitted above shows that the basic building is quite compact, and it would be easy to omit some of the outbuildings if you run out of space.

6 hours ago, AyJay said:

Bingo!

A further search on the internet revealed a website 'archive.org' that has a copy of the John Minnis book.

Logging in, I was able to check out the book and it does indeed have the end views of Wateringbury.

So I took copies of the pages I needed, attached. What is missing is a plan view.  So my next step will be to dig out my printer and look into how I get them working together.    Assuming I can get printouts, I will then look them over closely and see If I can produce a plan view from what the four side views tell me.

My mistake Nick.  The other two are too long.  Adisham is rendered and painted all white.  Of course, I could just overlook this and do it red brick anyway.  Also, when I look at my print for Much Wenlock, I can see that there is a passenger entrance on the platform side where the waiting room is; but on the roadside, the only entrance is for the stationmasters residence.  Where I would expect an entrance, it's all windows?

37 minutes ago, AyJay said:

My mistake Nick.  The other two are too long.  Adisham is rendered and painted all white.  Of course, I could just overlook this and do it red brick anyway.  Also, when I look at my print for Much Wenlock, I can see that there is a passenger entrance on the platform side where the waiting room is; but on the roadside, the only entrance is for the stationmasters residence.  Where I would expect an entrance, it's all windows?

The logical location would be in the centre of the wall to the ticket office, where the drawing shows a plain window which is patently not the original.  The last page (127) of the book has a photo of the refurbished building, which has a doorway in the same place, although that is no guarantee as to its original location.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not yet sure how far I want to take this one.

Having decided that I want to model the Arley Station building that is on the Severn Valley Railway, although that's not what it's going to be called on my layout, I have just noticed the colour of the bricks. They are a yellow/sandstone colour. The Scale Model Scenery website describes a matching brickpaper as 'Yellow London Brick'  (I'm looking at item TX262-OO)

Aside from my castle, which is stone,  all of my buildings are red brick.

I'm assuming that all of the bricks used in an area should be the same approximate colour because you generally don't carry building material from a distant location, you use what is locally sourced.

So my question is, would it be unusual for a station to be built out of bricks that are a different colour to the bricks used in other buildings of a similar era, in that area?

Consistency says that I should make it in red brick.

Thank you

On 09/03/2024 at 16:01, AyJay said:

you generally don't carry building material from a distant location,

Ahem, funnily enough it was the railways themselves that changed this during the Victorian period. Railways enabled low-cost transportation of heavy materials like bricks and the development of large scale production in a few favoured locations. Bricks could come from Bedford, Peterborough and so on by the million. And of course, the railways were also consumers of vast numbers of bricks too.

Not to say that there was not local production, rather that imported materials became much more significant. Also, mechanisation of the production processes tended to favour the larger concerns.

Yours, Mike.

Although brickworks such as at Fletton were established in the 1870’s the mass mechanical production didn’t really start until the 1920’s, so until then more local production would hold sway. It shouldn’t be forgotten that the majority of station buildings such as at Arley were built at the same time as the railway, around 1866, so rail transport might not be particularly effective. On many railway building projects, the contractors established small brickworks if they came across suitable clay, The colour of the resulting bricks would probably match other locally prepared wares used in non-railway buildings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well that's the outer shell of my new station complete.

The next step is to make the windows and doors. Once the windows and doors are in, I can then add the internal detailing.

After that, I can close off the ceilings, add interior lighting, close off the floors, make the bay window, add chimneys, roofing, guttering, window sills and external detailing.

Looking closely at google earth, I realised that attached to the Stationmasters house on the other side, is a small garden.  I won't be able to model this, because I am placing the station in a townscent and it faces a busy entranceway, so a quiet garden would look out of place.

I also realised that passenger entrance from the road is not through the booking hall. Passengers walk round the end of the station and enter the booking hall from the platform side. Nice to know.

Edited by AyJay
Added photo