Bachmann HO 2-6-0 Alco - Help!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

One of our NGS Area Group members asked mew to look at one of these for his son.

It's a DCC Sound fitted one, but, the wiring harness from the loco to the tender has broken.

Bachmann Spares used to have this available, but no longer!

So, I'm looking at replacing the plug, socket and wiring to get the thing working again.

Problems?

Yes - all the wires are black!

Yes - the loco is wired non standard, not NMRA compliant.

So, does anyone know what pins are what on the loco socket?

Bachmann manual/diagrams do not have a wiring schematic.

Any ideas as to which pin is which on the loco? 

Thanks

Phil H

This shows the loco's wiring harness:

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_596&products_id=5622

TBH I was a bit daunted by the wiring too because I've had to solder one of the broken wires myself and I did wonder why it had eight when it only needs six.

This is the tender, if that helps (the code on the board looks really ambiguous, but you might be able to find continuity with the tender pickups and go from there)

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_596&products_id=5630

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the links - The loco board is available but the wired plug I need to go between the loco and tender is not.

I've put the meter on the wires and tracked the wiring back from the loco tothe tender.

I'll replace all the wires and give them the correct NMRA compliant wires.

Like you, I don't know why the connector has 8 pins but only needs 6 wires. Maybe due to some loco versions having smoke as well as lights?

The board itself is a Soundtraxx ECO one and should have the same connector positions as the Tsunami upgrade board.

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1