Analogue point wiring with CDU (on an N gauge DCC layout)

Benatkinsonuk

Hi, this forum has already been a huge help to me so I’m already grateful! 

I have a DCC layout but want to test my analogue point wiring to check if I have things setup correctly, so I’m just testing the kit I’ve bought. I have a DDC concepts CDU, running to seep point motors on a DCC layout and I guess my question is, have I got it right in the video below? Excuse the mess I’m in that messy wiring testing phase! I’m running unifrog Peco points. 

This video explains it hopefully clear enough….please do highlight any issues before I connect this up to test!

Many thanks 

Ben

The critical thing that you need for such a set-up is a spring loaded switch which defaults to a central off position, and  provides a momentary on when the switch is pushed either way. A Solenoid switch only needs a momentary burst of power and continuous supply to the coils will damage them quite quickly. As long as the CDU and solenoid are wired correctly, thats it.

I cant tell. You get a little instruction sheet for the solenoid; how many of the solder tabs you have to connect depends if its a basic PM-2 or equivalent or if it has an auxiliary switch included that you intend to use. With basic switching there will be power from the CDU to the central pole of the switch; two power wires from the momentary on poles of the switch to the CDU, and one power return from the solenoid to the CDU. Obviously power from the DC controller source or equivalent to the CDU as well. 

• Agree 1