When did the KPEV change from Latin class numbers to modern numerals on carriage doors?

BillB

Probably asked and answered many times, but I rather like the look of the Latin / Roman numerals on the Roco and Fleischmann KPEV passenger carriage doors, but I am wondering if opting for those would be placing my branch line in the middle ages!!

Thanks again,

Bill.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Not quite the Middle Ages - but it depends rather on the era that you are modelling. Pre WW1? Or a bit later? Then fine! Or if you are my friend Günther then you run whatever you like from whatever period! You are the Controller, after all!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Can you also factor in the transition, after the new style was introduced but before it was applied to all existing rolling stock? I don’t know about standard practice across the KPEV but in some countries there are photos of later transitions tacking years or even decades.

@BillB, will you be setting up a layout thread for your project?  Sounds very interesting, Keith.

Hi, thanks for your comments. I think my branch line will be set in circa 1900-5, and the workhorse will be a T 9.2. All this interest arose during the frost, when I unearthed my vintage Roco and Fleischmann sets and decided they were far too big to post to anyone, so rather than list them on ebay I should use them. Fleischmann 481102 "Berliner Wannseebahn" has a T9.2 plus coaches with modern numerals on the doors, as does the lone coach in Fleischmann 4895 "Preußischer Güterzug mit Personenbeförderung", whilst Roco set 43025 "K.P.E.V. Epoche I" has 6-wheelers with the latin numerals, as does the associated Roco 44013 2-coach add-on pack. The Roco 43026 "Berliner Stadtbahn" set has three pairs of close-coupled Roco 6-wheelers with modern numerals. Both Roco sets include a T 16, and I assume both T 16s and close-coupled passenger stock were more commuter service than branch line. Of all I have the Roco 6-wheelers with the latin numerals are my favourite coaches, so I think my chief operating roster will be those coaches with the Fleischmann T 9.2s. My most characterful looking engine is a Roco P 4.2 4-4-0 (Roco 63302), but sadly that has no provision for fitting a front coupler, so I would need a turntable, which I won't have room for.

• Like 1