CAOLISPORT (1980's railway operations)

Clagmeister

Once upon a time in 1990, stood on the platform at Dunblane, in the rain, waiting for the Down internal sleeper to Inverness, when around the corner comes 47835 Bath Roads pet. My mates comments were “I ant doing no twank (twin tank, got it?) in Scotlandâ€. The resulting move, was a wait of nearly 2 hours for a sprinter to Aberdeen for 37101 to Inverness, an arrival in stile!.:D

Gary

Hi Gary,

Sounds like a good move to me, If it had been a nice Scottish loco with ploughs yeh do it but some rancid 47/8 no way. I remember doing a class 33 railtour the train was terminated at Salisbury usual railtour cock up. Anyway next train was a class 50 or a fair wait for a bog cart, I wanted to get home so took the class 50 but a few bashers including a couple of my mates said they would rather wait and do the bog cart than get a 50 a couple of them said they hadn't done a class 50 in years so weren't about to start.

Cheers Peter.

It looks like the 'Hebrides' might be Bristol bound from the summer timetable change. The engineers are looking into the possibility of upping the RA but no firm decision yet.

All will be revealed re the 'Kettle' as you call it. Its booked out in an hour so the pics will be on here in a day or so.

Re the sprinters in 1989, I certainly hope so, will put an end to all this running round nonsense. Hopefully a manufacturer will produce a half decent 156. Will be a while away though, I've been operating for 12 months and I've only done a month and a half.:blink:

some pics on the way

Cheers guys

Claggy

Saturday 15th 1310-1445

A general view of a quiet Caolisport.

post-7043-032924800 1285889564_thumb.jpg

5025 which is based at Aviemore makes its way back to the station after servicing 1415

post-7043-046831200 1285889632_thumb.jpg

Coupling up to the empty stock in CS2.

post-7043-092097000 1285889703_thumb.jpg

Waiting in platform 2 at 1445 with the return Paps of jura railtour to Edinburgh which she will work tender first as far as Dumbarton before giving over to 47/4 traction.post-7043-080218600 1285889819_thumb.jpg

bye bye

Claggy

• Like 1

Saturday 15th February cont'd..............................................................

The light is beginning to fade as 37410 drops down to Achahoish Jnc signal box at 1536 (7 late) with the 1220 from Glasgow Queen St. For those keeping up 410 left early in the morning with 0650 off Caolisport on a double return overnight Eastfield diagram.

post-7043-068067600 1286045403_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 3

Saturday 15th February 1986.

1545 5025 takes the Glasgow road at Achahoish Jnc and gets ready to tackle the 3 miles of 1in 50 to Fuar Summit in fading light at Caolisport. Already running 12 late due to a late in bound passenger from Glasgow.

With a full(to keep the firebox covered due to running tender first) and cold boiler , the gradient, relentless curves and some priming will reduce the loco to a painful slog. By Lochgilphead it would be 22 late!

post-7043-028467500 1286133914_thumb.jpg

post-7043-000981800 1286133928_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 3

I didn't think this through totally:unsure: Its now dark and I can't see so, I'll just run through the last workings of the day.

37410 arrived at 1538 and left at 1740 back to Glasgow.

The Caolisport shunter is seen doing his stuff during the run round

post-7043-073317300 1286145530_thumb.jpg

post-7043-041597900 1286145546_thumb.jpg

37425 came back yet again before going back to Cambletown at 1800. A bit of fun (yes i do do fun from time to time) Le Man style shot

post-7043-057063000 1286145684_thumb.jpg

At 1900 37406 returned with the Hebrides from London

At 2100 409 came into Caolisport and ran round before taking the last train to Cambletown, from where it will be the branch engine on Sunday.

Having passed 409 at Tarbert 425 returned yet again, leaving its stock in the station and joining 404 and 406 on the stabling point.

The three 37/4s are seen late at night awaiting their Sunday duties. 425 will work the first Glasgow, 404 is spare and 406 will work the evening sleeper.

post-7043-081389500 1286145948_thumb.jpg

post-7043-030087100 1286146026_thumb.jpg

That brings an end to a day in the life at Caolisport, hope you liked it.

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 3

I was stood in the rain on Kingmoor last night looking at 37038 before I prepped it and thought I need to capture that in model form.

So 404 and 425 stand in the rain at 0425 on Sunday 16th February 1986.

post-7043-007813500 1286284989_thumb.jpg

post-7043-053823600 1286285001_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

I was stood in the rain on Kingmoor last night looking at 37038 before I prepped it and thought I need to capture that in model form.

So 404 and 425 stand in the rain at 0425 on Sunday 16th February 1986.

post-7043-007813500 1286284989_thumb.jpg

post-7043-053823600 1286285001_thumb.jpg

cheerio

Claggy

now thats more like scotland :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Whats this?????? Been away for a while and look what happens!!

Monday 17th February 1986.

A non large logo 37/4 Sir Murray Morrison arrives at Caolisport with 0803ex Glasgow Queen St.

post-7043-038255600 1288093249_thumb.jpg

This is the first of 2 non Large logo 37's for Caolisport. I know its not 1988 by the way which is when it got this livery, its just I do intend to get that far eventually.

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Claggy,

Work commitments mean its been a couple of months since I last got chance to look at Caolisport ... wow! That ship really fits well onto the layout. Given that the West Highlands are one of my favourite area's of the country, I could look at your layout for months and never get fed up!!!

Well done - nice to see my fav 37 .... 37410 .... is still wandering around ... now onto serious stuff - any idea if the estate agent in Caolisport has any reasonably priced properties available? I think a move up there could do me good!!

Well done on the layout - keep it going! What's in the pipeline ... or at least still to do in your mind?

Thanks Clifford Road,

Have been having a little break from the modelling. Although 37423 has settled in well mainly covering out and back passenger diagrams from Eastfield. Had done it to death with the day in the life pieces I did. Also stuck in a 5 man RHTT link covering the North East at the moment with endless 12 hour early turns :( when not doing that covering other work in a Midland RHTT link with 11 hour 1am turns so very tired and a bit sick of railways.

When the Autumn leaf fall season is over I'm hoping my enthusiasm is going to return.

Next major jobs to do. Finish the street scenes at Caolisport. Finish the small harbour with cottages and Inn at Druimdrishaig. Get 37401 in Mainline livery.

In the meantime my locos are going to be employed on Tulloch Bridge layout at Workington Show this weekend.

cheerio

Claggy

Tried that! Went to Mull in the hope of climbing Ben More. Guess what............................. torrential rain, cloud base down to 300m. Never saw a thing. So had a day watching 44871 on the Jacobite in guess what?............... torrential rain.

came back totally depressed:( its never like that in the photos:)

I'll have to wait for my winter climbing week in Glencoe next February for my next fix. Failing that a cottage in Strontian is booked for next May. Should be able to visit Glenuig whilst I'm there and see if I can find the track bed and whats left of the station;)

cheerio

Claggy

Bad luck with the weather, I have been up that way three times this year. The first visit was to Inverarey, in February, and the weather was stunning, freezing with blue sky's. The second was in May, to the outer hebs, Uist, the weather was good again. The Third to Skye was basically a storm force 6 all week, but fantastic for photos. So all I can say, is look forward to February 2011, and if the weathers bad, there’s always the bar of the Clachaig inn, or Kings to shelter inn.

If you do get to Glenuig, turn down past the inn, and you will eventual come to an inlet with a View of Rum in the distance start looking for the station there.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Tried that! Went to Mull in the hope of climbing Ben More. Guess what............................. torrential rain, cloud base down to 300m. Never saw a thing. So had a day watching 44871 on the Jacobite in guess what?............... torrential rain.

You should, of course, have visited the Tobermory/Ledaig distillery - the 20yo peated Ledaig is poetry in a glass.

As to the layout (just to get back in thread), I've already said most of what there is to say about it!

Raining in Cumbria today so had a little time in the loft. Quite enjoyed it!

Stroke of luck, I rolled my ops issues dice for Tuesday 18th February 1986. It seems that delayed overnight SLK from Fort William to Mossend has derailed south of Glen Douglas with the last 8 timber wagons tearing up the track and spreading themselves about the place. The incident happened at 0520 thus blocking the line. Initial reports point to a collapsed culvert. Both north bound sleepers are stuck in the Dumbarton area as are the early morning freights from Mossend to Fort William and Caolisport.

Luckily this traps 5 sets of coaching stock at Caolisport, Fort William and Oban and 8 37/4s.

I'll keep you posted on how it affects operations, all freights cancelled until further notice.

Claggy

Have been having a little break from the modelling. Although 37423 has settled in well mainly covering out and back passenger diagrams from Eastfield. Had done it to death with the day in the life pieces I did. Also stuck in a 5 man RHTT link covering the North East at the moment with endless 12 hour early turns :( when not doing that covering other work in a Midland RHTT link with 11 hour 1am turns so very tired and a bit sick of railways.

When the Autumn leaf fall season is over I'm hoping my enthusiasm is going to return.

Oh nasty! 12 hour night turns are bad enough, but 11 hour 1am starters! omg! I did a period of 12 hour turns on control for that other freight company that used red engines and is now in the hands of some foreign lot and that was bad enough - 7 to 7 ... but 1am starts! You have my sympathy's!!!! However, yours is one of those layouts I could never get fed up with .... so i don't think you'll ever do it to death from my point of view!

Next major jobs to do. Finish the street scenes at Caolisport. Finish the small harbour with cottages and Inn at Druimdrishaig. Get 37401 in Mainline livery.

I must admit reading your thread on here, together with the 'day in life pieces' has really rekindled my interest in the west highland ... always loved 37/4s so Fort William could have been my spiritual home in the late 1980s! Think 401 should look good in mainline - lets hope 'them fellas down south' don't get any ideas about doing away with large logo livery!!! Good look on the scenics, looks really good now!How far are you going to let the clock tick ... is it just a continual process running 20-30 years behind real life, or is there a point where you turn the clock back again? Think it would be the latter with me!

Stroke of luck, I rolled my ops issues dice for Tuesday 18th February 1986. It seems that delayed overnight SLK from Fort William to Mossend has derailed south of Glen Douglas with the last 8 timber wagons tearing up the track and spreading themselves about the place. The incident happened at 0520 thus blocking the line. Initial reports point to a collapsed culvert. Both north bound sleepers are stuck in the Dumbarton area as are the early morning freights from Mossend to Fort William and Caolisport.

I always did say that how life treated you was a roll of the dice! Bad news about the overnight freight though ... god help the passengers on the replacement buses!

Luckily this traps 5 sets of coaching stock at Caolisport, Fort William and Oban and 8 37/4s.

I'll keep you posted on how it affects operations, all freights cancelled until further notice.

Oh what a stroke of luck! :) haha! I presume Fort William and Caolisport shed and handling all operations - which at least means it will be done right!

Must admit, you've encouraged me to push on with my layout once more, after the harsh life of work in recent months. So well done - keep going Claggy ... your doing well. Hope the locos all performed well at Workington.

CR

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all that Clifford Road.

Actually went up in the loft tonight for the first time in months. Interest still at a premium unfortunately. Don't know why arrggghhh!!! Maybe because I have been road learning Stirling and Perth recently and don't actually need to play Scottish trains.

I think maybe the time/date constraints are too limiting. Or just need a another little project on the side until I've got my 1986 bug back.

I'll let you know, but a 2nd thread of a Cockermouth and Keswick railway station maybe on the cards. Maybe concentrate on the modelling rather than the operations. Any ideas anyone?

cheerio

Still here Claggy

Hi Claggy

I was beginning to wonder where you had got to.

My advise is, if you fancy a new challenge, go for it, and set your standards higher. The “but†note I would add, is try and not leave half finished projects that stop you using what you have already. While I have being building Glenuig and the Quarry, my big trainset, Over Haddon, although far from complete, has been in working order, so when I fancy it, I can go and have a play.

Keep us updated.

Gary

Guest 34008Padstow

Some cracking pics there claggy. wish i had the room to do something like this, although all my 37s are St Blazey based models so it would be the other end of the country. keep up the great work