CAOLISPORT (1980's railway operations)

Clagmeister

Hi Mate

Just cam e across this Layout and the Photos of the Ferry making looks excellent seeing its progress... with its new paint job... just in time for the big launch... LoL

Great photos keep up the great work...

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

As promised, hopefully some better photos. Give me a little time digital SLR instruction books take some wading thru.

post-7043-126730558396_thumb.jpg

409 eases past the cottage at Camusfearna on the last leg into Caolisport.

post-7043-126730569492_thumb.jpg

37410 Alu 100 growls away from Camusfearna in January 1986 with a train for Cambletown.

post-7043-126730578306_thumb.jpg

37406 'The Saltire Society' arrives at Caolisport with a heavily delayed sleeper January 1986.

post-7043-1267305869_thumb.jpg

Ben Cruachan rolls into Caolisport New yard with the 5.40am Speedlink from Mossend.

hope it works, fingers crossed

Claggy

• Like 2

Claggy

Great to see quality photos of this layout. Brings out the west highland atmosphere to a greater extent.

DO read the instructions, The person writing this piece had accidentally switched his EOS 300D that he has owned for 6 years, on to manual white balance, resulting in a  blue color cast over all his photos. 

Normally i would have noticed this after downloading the images, but i was 400 miles north of my computer, on a scenic photo session in, yes you've guest it,Scotland. 

Since my return a mega session on photo shop has resulted, and heres one of the results, a view down Loch Caolisport, were ever that is!.

Gary

post-7480-126735316313_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Cal Mac ferry's can be maneuvered in to tight spaces, and some are built with a low draft,so i wouldn't worry about the birthing practicalities. Sorry to clog up you thread, heres another photo of Caolisport taken looking in the other direction, i take it that the Hebridean Isles will sail for the distant mountains of Islay, and Jurra. 

Gary

post-7480-126737112621_thumb.jpg 

• Like 1

Great shots. Feel free to clog up the thread anytime!

Heb Isles and Pioneer have a roster that includes Islay and Colonsay. Caolisport built as direct competition to the Oban ferry route by the HR.

Anyway back in the real world, off to get the kettle on.

Claggy

There the shots. Great stuff. Columba and another in the third shot.

Looking at the first one I may have to review how many fuel tanks I'm going to need TTAs as far as you can see.

Much prefer the warts and all shots from the past. That is what I'm trying to do right there.

Thanks for sharing

Mike

Smashing photos, it was an absolute sin when the old O&C  railway terminus was demolished. Years of neglect had left it unsafe. It was replaced with a “functional†and character less modern building.

Ok if it had to go, and some thought had gone in to it, then a combined station and ferry terminal building may have been an improvement. While on a run over to Mull last year i got talking to a German tourist, he commented, that the ferry leaves port 5 minutes before the train arrives, yes an integrated transport system, bet that didn't happen in the past, progress.

Gary

There the shots. Great stuff. Columba and another in the third shot.

Looking at the first one I may have to review how many fuel tanks I'm going to need TTAs as far as you can see.

Much prefer the warts and all shots from the past. That is what I'm trying to do right there.

Thanks for sharing

Mike

hi mike

i thought you would like themlaugh.gif

Now then,

I am I alone in spending more time doing diagramshuh.gif for the locos and stock rather than modelling? Think I may be missing the point when it comes to this model railway thingmellow.gif .

Does everybody else spend more time doing scenery etc etc.

cheers

Claggy

Some more pics for you.

post-7043-126791655183_thumb.jpg

post-7043-126791673834_thumb.jpg

Loch Awe shunts the empty chemical tanks together before departing with 6K25 to Mossend.

post-7043-126791675648_thumb.jpg

Concrete Bob on the 0545 Cambletown to Glasgow Queen St service.

post-7043-126791692906_thumb.jpg

The stock for the first Cambletown train awaits its loco in Platform 2 whilst some spoil wagons rest in the back road.

post-7043-126791680679_thumb.jpg

And Ben Cruachan waits in number 1CS at Caolisport whilst the crew get a brew between shunting jobs.

cheerio

Claggy

• Like 2

Some more pics for you.

post-7043-126791655183_thumb.jpg

post-7043-126791673834_thumb.jpg

Loch Awe shunts the empty chemical tanks together before departing with 6K25 to Mossend.

post-7043-126791675648_thumb.jpg

Concrete Bob on the 0545 Cambletown to Glasgow Queen St service.

post-7043-126791692906_thumb.jpg

The stock for the first Cambletown train awaits its loco in Platform 2 whilst some spoil wagons rest in the back road.

post-7043-126791680679_thumb.jpg

And Ben Cruachan waits in number 1CS at Caolisport whilst the crew get a brew between shunting jobs.

cheerio

Claggy

fantasic pics mike, you got the hang of the new camra i see!

how is the port coming on m8?

carl

Slowly!

Will post some more pics when some progress made.

All eyes at Caolisport focused on the arrival of the Severn Valley railways 43106 on an ECS Friday 31st Jan 1986. Staying for 4 weeks doing Inverary and Cambletown turns as crew training for Caolisport men. All so the new regular steam specials to Cambletown can start in May.

The loco will then be joined by 75014 at the end of Feb so the pair can work an SRPS charter from Caolisport to Edinburgh.blink.gif

But thats probably 12 months away in real time.

I have gone mad, but quite happy that I've now got to the end of January 1986 after operating the layout for 18 months and starting on the 1st Jan 1986. This real time operation is slow. It only speeds up when I have visitors like when Dave from Waverley West visited last week. Got through in a night what normally takes me a couple of days.

cheerio

Claggy

Mike, wonderful layout. Since you mentioned that Caolisport was a HR line, I've decided to use this as the terminus on a line from Perth that my layout is joining onto somewhere. Where did the cottage come from?

Some really nice new shots there, Mike. The new camera definitely shows. I especially like the one of 409 crossing the bridge.

Will try and get round to ordering your switches this weekend. I don't think Maplin do a 5-way switch unfortunately, maybe an on/off switch and a 4-way switch would do instead. I know they do a 4-way one but otherwise they only do a 12-way switch I think. I'll look into it a bit more though.

It was fun on Thursday. Helena wants to come again, although she reckoned we talked too much. That's quite a statement coming from her!! The words pot and kettle black spring to mind!

I take it from your comment about Type 2's on Gary's Glenuig thread (I think it was) that you don't want me to bring a couple of Deltics over for a top-and-tail railtour or two then??!! Just kidding, calm down Mike. biggrin.gif

Cheers for now,

Dave

Just read Bachmanns new wagons list.

It seems that the Mull of Kintyre will be getting a Nuclear Power station afterall. Barrier,Flask,Flask,Barrier,Brake Van.

Should be good, although I may need a couple more 37/4s to cover it. Shame that.

Claggy

Hi

Your doing well with that new camera, great shots of a supper model. You do know there was only 31, class 37's refurbished and fitted with ETH. Perhaps you should consider extending the subclass up to 37450, suitable names, Loch Caolisport, Mull of Kintyre, Isle of Jura, Isle of Islay,  and i think the ultimate would be “Gulf of Corryvreckanâ€. Anyone do custom etched plates?.

Gary