Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Europe’s geography ‘kind of reshaped’ as Paris-Berlin night train returns

DavidB-AU

The first night train between Berlin and Paris will depart on Monday evening after a nine-year hiatus, plugging a significant gap in Europe’s increasingly comprehensive overnight rail timetable and giving a boost to travellers looking for a realistic alternative to flying.

ÖBB, the Austrian national railway operator, will run the service three times a week to begin with. From autumn next year, the service is expected to run daily.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/dec/09/europes-geography-kind-of-reshaped-as-paris-berlin-night-train-returns

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Care needed when reading some of the hyperbolic text! (For example 'fully booked train' is a mis-transliteration). Also, Paris - Berlin is only the "jewel in the crown" of European night trains if you happen to want to travel that itinerary! 

It is worth noting the completely different route compared with the traditional Paris - Berlin route which was from Paris Nord via Liege - Koln - Hannover

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Why is Austria running Paris-Berlin?

Because Austrian Federal Railways made a decision a few years ago to reverse the trend to remove night trains in western Europe, and launched Nightjet.

Because Austria is on the eastern edge of western Europe they had a legacy of popular night trains running to and through Austria between the rich western economies and the eastern European destinations and  saw the chance to re-expand overnight Services in central Europe. This new service will just be an add on to the existing Nightjet network.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since 2018, ÖBB has ordered 230 new sleeping and couchette cars to expand the Nightjet network and they are hiring some from other countries as a stopgap. They obviously see a future in overnight trains and they are investing serious money into it.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Think that 2011 was one of my last overnight trips in Europe by train.  I caught the Amsterdam to Moscow service so that I could get to Warsaw from the west.

Personally I have difficulty getting a comfortable night and have since then always had a night in a hotel.  I prefer to stretch legs find food and a beer plus a chance for a decent sleep and shower.

OBB network is good idea if I wanted to get that bit further by going overnight.  However sometimes an early start and a high speed journey can get you there not much later.

• Agree 1

On 11/12/2023 at 03:45, DavidB-AU said:

Because they saw a business opportunity and because they can.

And there very good at it, whilst not to everyone's budget but quality all the way. long may they continue to prosper.

• Like 2

Also worth mentioning that DB AG completely pulled out of the night train market some years ago, hence why the gaps in the market existed in the first place. There is also some level of cooperation/partnership (though not sure to what extent) from SNCF and SBB, hence why you'll see their logos on the sides of some NightJet liveried rolling stock. Presumably also from NS given that their Vectrons now run the entire route from Amsterdam to Vienna (though these are leased from ELL).

20230830_193807.jpg.1ff257b552678ebb46b71048ff3bbb30.jpg

Wien Hauptbahnhof 30/08/2023.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its worth pointing out Poland has never ceased its sleeper services either, though its mostly domestic and misses the “western hype” around sleepers, its still there, going strong.

• Like 2