LNWR D84 4-plank open - sheet and rope tie-off points

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned in an earlier post, I am working on an ABS kit in 7mm scale for the LNWR D84 4-plank open. As I will be modelling the wagon with a sheet, I need to represent the tie-off points for ropes and sheets.

I have been looking at photos of this wagon on the LNWR Society's zenfolio site, here: https://lnwrs.zenfolio.com/p148651598 The way the site works I can't give a URL to a specific photo, but the following clip is from the picture of the D84 loaded with sacks, partly sheeted.

Homing in on the solebar and lightening the picture to see the detail more clearly, we have:

Soc1192-(ZF-4229-48330-1-002).jpg.113e1c6e114e9a63d13902fa92c10d0d.jpg

There are five points where there is a vertical 'something' projecting down below the curb rail, some of which are in use to tie off the ropes and sheet ties. My question is - does anyone know in more detail exactly what form these tie-off points take?

There is a bit of a clue in another picture, of a wagon loaded with casks in a goods shed, where we can see:

Lnwrs9577-(ZF-4229-48330-1-003).jpg.a0441521876a7b807ed4173b3447b363.jpg

Next to the buffer there is a cleat, with the remains of a cut-off cord or rope. Below the curb rail, there is - what? Perhaps a vertical bar with a cleat attached to the front of it?

Any thoughts, or better yet, clearer photos or drawings, gratefully received.

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The cleats for ropes under curb rail could be the same as on Dia 1 wagons. 

This is part of a works drawing from a Dia 1 which shows these fittings. I would imagine that with the standardisation of the LNWR that it would probably be the same.

Mike

20231212_223650.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Mike - that's very helpful. The D84 ones look deeper (as in top-to-bottom height), but could well be the same principle: a roughly J-shaped hook attached to the underside of the curb rail.

Nick.

• Like 2