Birmingham New Street PSB Virtual Tour.

• RMweb Gold

The Human Interface Technology team at Birmingham University have been given access to record the inside of the New Street Power Box building for posterity. This is a Google style run through the operating floor and relay room. 

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=a7aSN6y5sDH

Just tap on the little man then use it like Streetview

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Not much left to see now

The collection of mugs has gone from the top of the panel, but some sections are not much different from when I first visited in July 1966. I was involved in either design or testing of some of the changes. The relay room is just a bit more tidy than the last time I was in there aroind 1997.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The collection of mugs has gone from the top of the panel, but some sections are not much different from when I first visited in July 1966. I was involved in either design or testing of some of the changes. The relay room is just a bit more tidy than the last time I was in there aroind 1997.

Brings back some memories. 

The whole place is neater than I remember. 

We could have crossed paths back in 97. 

Any idea what the little  signal panel with a few point switches is for in the relay room?

Never really went in there so not sure if it is a relatively new thing or not. 

Andy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The Human Interface Technology team at Birmingham University have been given access to record the inside of the New Street Power Box building for posterity. 

What an interesting piece of work.  Thanks for posting the link. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2023 at 21:34, SM42 said:

We could have crossed paths back in 97. 

Any idea what the little  signal panel with a few point switches is for in the relay room?

I think it may have been 1997 the last time I worked there.  I wrote some signalling stuff for the major point renewals contract at the PSB end of the station. Still have a copy of the photos from the surveys somewhere.

I don't remember that panel being there in my days. It doesn't eem to match anything else there so possibly a training or equipment testing aid?

• Thanks 1

On 22/12/2023 at 22:31, TheSignalEngineer said:

I think it may have been 1997 the last time I worked there.  I wrote some signalling stuff for the major point renewals contract at the PSB end of the station. Still have a copy of the photos from the surveys somewhere.

I don't remember that panel being there in my days. It doesn't eem to match anything else there so possibly a training or equipment testing aid?

I remember that renewals job well and not necessarily for the right reasons. 

Had a birds eye view of the goings on from the PSB fire escape

Andy

• Like 1