Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

So what caused the Western’s squeaky horns?

Evertrainz

To anyone that may have had experience fitting or “tuning” horns on classic BR diesel traction - why ever did the Westerns have a very squeaky high tone?

They were without doubt fitted with the same Desilux brass horns fitted to almost all locos of the time, but nearly none of the others seemed to have such a horn based on old audio I can find.

Was it a matter of how tightly the brass horn bell was screwed into the diaphragm base? That seems to be the only thing that could have made a difference. 

• RMweb Premium

Split trumpet comes to mind, or was it air pressure/flow or actuator related?

Sounding the rear horn on a class 47 creates a different sound due to it being a solenoid valve rather than manual.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2023 at 09:18, Davexoc said:

Split trumpet comes to mind, or was it air pressure/flow or actuator related?

Sounding the rear horn on a class 47 creates a different sound due to it being a solenoid valve rather than manual.

Split tones sounds right, but wondering specifically why the Westerns only, and none of the other diesels, had that very recognizable tone. 

These all were undoubtedly the exact same horn sets as manufactured, and they all sound similar tones (within reason - 37/1 sounds more harsh no doubt due to being in service longer).

In the early days of dieselisation, that was common on the ECML - 2 notes only required.  I believe but never heard that the WCML equivalent was "John Peel".

I haven't heard an attempt at playing a tune for many years - did killjoys stop it?