Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Distillers co2 Tanks. Locations and Unloading

4 hours ago, Twentieth-Bagginess said:

Where were distillers co2 tanks transported to? How was they unloaded?

Bath Midland Bridge Road for the Distillers Company . 70's into the 80's a weekly block load from Severn Beach to Bow out sunday evening returning in the consist of any suitable train during the week

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, Stoke West said:

Bath Midland Bridge Road for the Distillers Company . 70's into the 80's a weekly block load from Severn Beach to Bow out sunday evening returning in the consist of any suitable train during the week

They were only used for the distillers company? silly me, I assumed they were for delivering co2 to various industries 

David Ratciffe's book on 'Private Owner Wagons has a photo of a road tanker unloading a rail tank. The operation seemed to be fairly simple, using some re-inforced stainless hose. Terminals could be as simple as this, or something more permanent, like the one serving the Midlands. Gas was a by-product of yeast manufacture like that at Bristol, and brewing the 'mash' for distilling, like the Menstrie  one.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Twentieth-Bagginess said:

They were only used for the distillers company? silly me, I assumed they were for delivering co2 to various industries 

Distillers company discharged the rail tanks into their road tankers and delivered to their customers , much the same as coal factors unloaded  coal and delivered to their customers along with other traders and comodities

• Informative/Useful 1

I was imagining a (freelance, fictional) brewery receiving co2 for carbonating the end product. 

But after reading your post, I searched around and found that some breweries are capturing the co2 from the brewing process 

44 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Gas was a by-product of yeast manufacture like that at Bristol, and brewing the 'mash' for distilling, like the Menstrie  one

It was one of the products from ICI Severnside [built in 1963], along with fertilisers and other chemicals at different times. Whether there was any connection with the Distillers Co CO2 traffic I don't know, but Distillers was never a part of ICI.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

A point of interest to me is when and where did the Distillers Company use the red and black lettering on a buff tank colour as depicted on Hornby 20 ton tanker R6122?

Many thanks 

Paul

In this there is confusion between the postwar Carbon Dioxide tanks and the prewar Ethanol tanks (industrial alcohol). The Hornby rtr tank is the former Airfix rtr one and they remained in traffic till the early 1970’s but in BP use after the Hull plant was sold to them; the last remaining tank is now at Leeming Bar on the Wensleydale Railway,

• Like 1

I wasn't looking for it, but found +https://www.modelrailshop.co.uk/p/1208/20-Ton-Tank-Wagon---Industrial-Alcohol.

1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

The Hornby rtr tank is the former Airfix rtr one and they remained in traffic till the early 1970’s

But not in that livery - the post-war livery for class A liquids was a silverette tank with red solebars. "The Distillers Company Ltd" was in red, the rest of the lettering in black. Their 201 is on page 52 of David Larkin's 'Non-Pool Freight Stock 1946-1968', volume 1. The tank should, of course, not have a hand wheel on the top, as in that era only class B tanks had a bottom outlet; class A was emptied by syphon at the top of the tank. Airfix produced a class B tank and also painted it in class A liveries.

• Like 1