RMweb

Lima Horse box

Typeapproval

Hi, as a newcomer to the world of things "Sarf of the Thames" I have enjoyed reading the older posts on the "Southern Railway Group".

Whilst idling on a well known site, (Looking for entirely East of England stuff, Sorry!) I came across a "LIMA SR horse box"

Having read that over the years there has been a shortage of SR rolling stock, I wondered if this was a representative offering or one of the items available in all the colours of the companies? I remember Graham Farish producing some very nice wagons, which were marked as any one of the 'Big Four' and BR.

I have recently discovered some printed rolling stock for the GER (All praise to the manufacturer) and wondered if a similar industry was occurring for Southern modellers?

David.

Hi, thanks for that. I rather thought that was probably the case, I remember many cases of 'Same item, Different paint job!" Any Idea when that was made? I thought that "Badge Engineering" died out with Wrenn! I've been away from Railway Modelling for a while.

Lima kit wasn't all bad, they produced some models that though less than perfect (far from) were a change from the usual. The Crab was one my buddy who was into LMS stuff enthused about and the J50. When I look at the latest model its easy to see the huge improvement (and Price) that has happened. The Triang SR EMU was one model I admired, the latest stuff is in a different category.

Amazing how technology has allowed things to move forward. 

Regards

David.

• Friendly/supportive 1

With some decent roof vents replacing the strange conical devices, the Lima Horse Box comes up quite well ... just not in green. Mine is now maroon, with some minor detailing done, including the roof vents. The Lima one is the maroon one on the right of the first photo (mine started off in green, BTW), with a kit-built LNER horse box in the earlier BR crimson (carmine, if you prefer). This was before I applied numbers. Once it is mixed in with other vehicles on a layout, it blends in quite well.

LNERandGWRHorseBoxes-1.jpg.c095a53f0fbd8d6510b000fbac07ee66.jpg

BRandLNERandGWRHorseBoxes-1.jpg.8a2b0d76580f3807f3f09f7692e88a40.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 3

The Lima OO horse box was a 1979 product according to Ramsays British Model Trains Catalogue produced in GW Brown (L305625)  LMS red (L305626) and SR Green (L305628). There was a N gauge version which is listed in that book as a 1978 model in LMS red (617)  but 1980 in GW brown (616). A further GW brown one (616) and a SR  Green (619) are marked as not made.

• Informative/Useful 1