Epoch 1 long distance trains

Romsey Les

Apologies if I`ve asked this before .  I understand there were many examples of Eilzug running between different railway administrations before World War 1 . The Trix 6 wheeled corridor stock for example has 3 Bavarian and 2 Prussian corridor coaches with destination boards Munich to Hamburg/Hanover . Questions as follows :-

Were trains made up of mixed stock common ?

Did locos run all the way through or did the destination area take over at some point - at the border perhaps ?  I`ve seen references to Prussian P6 locos running into Bavaria .

What about sleeping and dining coaches before the advent of Mitropa (1917) .  Did CIWL stock ever run into Prussia ?

Thanks for any answers or ideas ,

Les

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Further reading in a book I`d forgotten I had reveals the answer to the CIWL query.  The Prussians had ended a relationship with CIWL in the 1880s but pressure from Berlin society and the royal family meant that the Nord Express started in 1896 (Paris to Russia) . This was followed by other routes including the Riviera Express which ran from Berlin to the south of France via Frankfurt and Stuttgart .  The CIWL build listing shows that the prototypes for the TRIX models (the 3 early ones and the set (21215) were built "for Germany" . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that in many cases engine changes could be made to line up with the borders of the administrations, and that this was the most convenient solution from an administrative point of view (in terms of dividing revenue, paying for fuel, water and stabling, and arranging crewing). But that is guesswork - would be interesting to read a better informed answer.

Ben

• Like 1