Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan BOC Tanks

Chrisjh

I recently purchased a rake of the superb weathered BOC Tanks from Olivias Trains, but I have a couple of wagons which continuosly derail, just wondering if there is a fix? My other wagons run perfectly fine including my 100 TEA Tanks. Best Wishes and Many thanks Chris 

17 hours ago, Chrisjh said:

I recently purchased a rake of the superb weathered BOC Tanks from Olivias Trains, but I have a couple of wagons which continuosly derail, just wondering if there is a fix? My other wagons run perfectly fine including my 100 TEA Tanks. Best Wishes and Many thanks Chris 

Have you checked the back to back measurement of the wheels?

• Agree 1

I bought a few back when Hattons were flogging them off cheap and mine also continuously derailed. It seems a slight track twist / curve etc caused my problems. I eventually sorted it by changing the couplings with plug in magnetic ones. Forgot the make, they just plugged straight in. I left the rake outer couplings tension lock.

Brit15

Many thanks the rake seems to run over the points and diamond crossings with no issues at all, so I hadnt checked the back to back as its only when it passes through over one of the large radii curves. It never seems to be the same curve either, but always the same wagon. I have even switched to magnetic couplings with no difference. 

Best wishes and thanks,

Chris 

• Informative/Useful 1

I can't speak specifically for the Heljan wagons, but in more general terms with similar problems I have had with other manufacturers' wagons, I have found that once the wheel back to backs have been set, if they still derail or have problems, I look at the amount of movement available in the bogies. Often, if they are held in with a screw, a quarter turn looser seems to fix most of the remaining problems. If the bogies are clipped in rather than screwed, removing the bogies and filing a small amount off the face of the boss to allow more rocking fore and aft seems to be the main adjustment needed; occasionally they need a little side to side rocking allowed, but it is important to only do that on one bogie, otherwise you can introduce an undesirable wobble in the wagon's running.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have fixed some problems on my O gauge bogie freight cars by having one bogie "tight" (swivels OK but little / no roll) and one loose to allow easy swivel and roll. Done by tightening one and slackening the other bogie mount.

Not 100% successful but helps a lot.

Brit15

• Agree 1