Esu loksound stay-alive CV help

CrazyBattleGoose

Hi All, I installed an ESU powerpak mini into the new dcc sound rapido J70.( It uses a loksound v5 micro next 18 chip )And in the instructions for the stay alive it has some CV's to change to let the decoder know it has one and how long it should run. For this decoder the CV is 323. I'm using DecoderPro for programming though and the CV list doesn't go that high.

Anyone know how to find the CV or change the settings in DecoderPro to display the higher CV values? 

Thanks in advance 

In an ESU decoder, any CV above 255 doesn't make any sense without quoting its index numbers (CV31/CV32) as well,  because otherwise "CV323" can be any of at least a dozen different things.     Those are listed in DecoderPro files, they consist of three numbers in succession in the CV list, such as "16.0.323", the first two being the index values, the last the specific CV.  

The setting you're looking for is on the "Function Outputs" pane, scroll down to Aux7, and set it to "PowerPack". 

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Okay, my bad if I missed some things, first time I've done anything other than the loco ID. So, here's update:

1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

In an ESU decoder, any CV above 255 doesn't make any sense without quoting its index numbers (CV31/CV32) as well,  because otherwise "CV323" can be any of at least a dozen different things.     Those are listed in DecoderPro files, they consist of three numbers in succession in the CV list, such as "16.0.323", the first two being the index values, the last the specific CV.  

The setting you're looking for is on the "Function Outputs" pane, scroll down to Aux7, and set it to "PowerPack". 

- Nigel

Verified CV31 = 16, 32 = 0, as instructions say, then found and changed the function output for Aux7 (see photo), and wrote changes. I then did see that CV 16.0.323 you mentioned changed from "1" to "31" which is what the instructions say it should be, all seems good. Write changes and save.

Still no sign the stay alive is working, I let it sit on the track with just sound playing for 2 minutes and as soon as I lifted it off the tracks it quit. Set it back down, waited 4 minutes and had it do a loop of the track just to see if that did anything and once again as soon as I lifted it off the sound quit and wheels stopped...

Do I need to change any of the sliders below Aux 7?

image.png

Basic wiring first....

An ESU stay-alive has three wires.  Decoder Positive, Ground and a control wire, all need connecting, the control is only on the decoder, the positive and ground are on decoder and duplicated on the loco after the Next18 socket.   Are they all connected to the correct places ?  

The run time is set on the "Advanced" Pane,  fair way down left column for "Power Pack Maintain Time".  

RunTime value of 60 ought to give best part of 2 seconds.   

All looks OK from what I can see in the photo.   Now into guesswork territory...

1)  check the function mapping (takes a long time to read all of that in DecoderPro).   Is Aux7 set in any mapping rows ?   If so, could that be a factor ?  I'd be tempted to remove it from any rows. 

2)  whilst I thought the ESU powerpack doesn't care about analogue operation being possible (just doesn't operate in analogue), just maybe its confused by it, so turn off analogue in CV29, and also the analogue modes in CV50.  

Thereafter, its discuss with the supplying retailer and/or ESU.   I don't know if SouthWest Digital still offer support in the UK for ESU products ?  

Alright so,

1) Nothing tied to Aux7 in any of the columns, I don't even see it as an option in anyhting other than Physical Outputs Column but either way. Nothing functioned map to Aux7

2) I have "Power Source Conversion" set to "NMRA Digital only" in the "Basic" tab of Decoder Pro. And have set "DC Analog Mode to "Off" in Analog Control tab in case that still works.  CV29 =30 and CV50 = 0, not sure if that is the same as being turned off.

I sent ESU an email but since there'll all off for the new year it'll be a while. But thank you so much for troubleshooting this with me, I really appreciate it

• Thanks 1