Hornby mk2 D brake coach error?

kingfisher9147

IMG_20231230_121848.jpg.403edacbd9b851ea2de9b016849bc6d0.jpg

IMG_20231230_124603.jpg.6987984a88856dde32f0208c1d25a702.jpgHi all, I have got a a Hornby mk2 D Bso brake coach R4464 in swallow /executive livery. One thing I have notice and I think it a error on Hornby part as I have been unable to find a real photo of the coach. What I think is wrong with the coach is on two of the doors is emergency only and the other guard on one side of the coach but on the other side there is nothing also I think the door which say emergency only is supposed to be the guards door. Does anyone know if this  just a error or was like it in real life? 

Thanks mike 

• 2 weeks later...

The labelling has definitely been transposed onto the wrong doors, and, as far as I am aware, if 'Guard' lettering is present then it should be on the relevant doors on both sides of the coach.

The "Emergency Only" seems incorrectly worded as well: Photos suggest that the actual wording, where applied, was "Emergency Use Only". Initially I wondered whether it was a relatively recent, railtour use affectation, but I did then find some examples of its use on Virgin-era, Crosscountry brake vehicles in IC livery.

Edited by Cruachan
  • Like 1

Edit: I didn’t read the OP’s post and look at the pictures closely enough. I think Hornby have made a mistake and the text is transposed on each door. 

Here is my original reply (and also the following post with pictures):

This is just a guess and I’m not sure why the printing is on one side of the coach only, not both…but here is my guess.

When the Mk2D, E and F coaches were fitted with Central Door locking in the 1990s, the centre doors in the brake coaches (Mk2D, E and F BSO, and Mk2D BFK) were not fitted with central door locking, as this had been designed for the large end swing doors only. The narrow doors to the centre vestibule were modified with manual emergency door release so they were normally locked, but could be opened from the inside in an emergency. I suspect the “Emergency only” branding is probably correct. But I would have expected it (and “Guard”) to be applied on both sides of the vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Tom.

Edited by tiger

Quick search through Flickr shows a couple of Mk2E BSO with such branding although it looks to me like the actual branding is “Emergency Exit Only” on the midway vestibule door and “Private” on the guard’s door. (Not my original photos)

Mk2E 

Mk2E BSO 9500 TJH01 Stafford 20th June 2001 Copyright Tim Horn

Mk2E (no text on the Guard’s door)

9497 Peterborough 20.03.15

On Flickr at least it seems more common for IC liveried coaches to not have the “Emergency Exit Only” branding. It looks like this branding was more common on Virgin liveried coaches so maybe the lettering was added in the Virgin era, to the few coaches remaining in INTERCITY.

You never know though, Hornby may have a photo of the prototype exactly as they have modelled it. Or maybe it’s a mistake as the OP says.