Baseboards.

Hi All, 

I'm throwing this out there as I'm sure it will attract numerous responses and answers giving, hopefully, a good number of variations and ideas on how to go about it. I have almost finished building my new baseboards following building work and the final section is going to be somewhat different as it will go out over the top of the newly constructed stairwell so needs to be moveable. The first option that springs to mind is to hinge it to the gable end wall but ideas please!

There will be a board running underneath the windows that will stop at the balustrade so the mobile section will meet that at right angles. The fixed sections along the gable end wall stop about 18" from the top of the stairs.

Paul.

DSCF7119.JPG

DSCF7125.JPG

DSCF7045.JPG

DSCF6998.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't think anyone understands what you intend to achieve.

You say a baseboard stops at the balustrade, so at a minimum you intend to extend the baseboard from below the window by two or three feet to the gable. There is something running up the gable which will make hinging difficult.

In the absence of any further information about the space for the layout it seems (if only to me) that adding an extra two feet or so seems to not add a lot to what you can do (to say nothing of the fun in connecting track on a folding board.

If it is the fiddleyard end of a layout, you would need to remove the stock before a comfort break.

Also, a board hinged from the gable will reduce the effective width of the stair by the depth of the baseboard, its framing, whatever is on it (track, ballast, buffers?) plus the height of what is above the board (to allow it to fold up). You also have the "how can I reach whatever holds the folded board ?" both to fold it down and to fold it back up.

I said above 'at a minimum' - the more frightening thought is that you intend to hinge a long board from the corner to past the lightswitch and somewhere above the boxes on the floor.

Even the 'minimum' sounds like a good way of boxing yourself in if anything happens. The young and fit can cope with 'duck under', but trying to do that from the inside onto stairs will be much more prone to problems in getting out fast.

Thanks for your post. I will do a diagram of my intended baseboards around the room and will highlight the space that I am referring to, that will hopefully make it a lot clearer.

Paul.

• Like 3