RMweb

GWR / BR (W) Permanent Speed Restrictions

Hi all! Happy new year.

I'm seeking speed restriction tables for the western region, preferably from before the end of steam. I have found similar documents on eBay for my SR and BR (S) projects, but nothing for the GWR or BR (W).

I am prepared to pay for photocopies or scans of this data if someone has it. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help or point me in the right direction.

• RMweb Premium

Mike the station master is your best bet for such information. The GW were pretty parsimonious in providing permanent speed restriction signs, there's were circular mostly black, with a white circle and the speed within. Newer BR signs are to the standard of the time.

• Like 1

I think there was a reprint of the Great Western Railway sectional appendix for 1945 (?) done by OPC at some point. IIRC - this contained line speed limits and speed limits over junctions. That said I can't see it listed anywhere on the second hand book sites.  Signalling Record Society website might be worth looking at. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are various sources -

1.  the Bradford Barton book mentioned above which is not actually what inner Home' initially described it as  although it is titled -

'GWR Service Timetable Appendices 1945'.  What it actually contains are various pages from the back part of the  STTs which is where Permanent Restrictions of Speed were at that time listed on the GWR.   This book includes all sections of the GWR STTs for that year

The 'Appendix to Section X of the Service Timetable' - the approximate GWR equivalent of the Sectional Appendix of the BR era - did not list permanent restrictions of speed and neither did the 1960 editions of the WR Sectional Appendices.

2 Your best online source, or more correctly the best I know of, is this one -

https://www.michaelclemensrailways.co.uk

You will see down the left hand side of that pahge a list of various subjects including Working Timetables.  When yo follow that link yo will find a lot of GWR/Wr STTs/WTTs all available to download.  Unlike the Bradford Barton book there is not a complete set for any particular year and there some gaps overall but it is a worthwhile site to visit if you are searching for any particular area or information and I use it quite often.  Depending pn your bandwidth etc downloads are quick and easy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1