Nick Dunhill's Commercial Workbench - 88D Models BR(W) ex-Cardiff Rly 155 tank.

Well today I more or less finished the loco.

I added loads of details, some that came in the kit, such as the GWR safety valve cover and tank fillers, and lots that didn't.  I sourced replacement parts from other suppliers, such as Laurie Griffin and Warren Shephard.  Mick Davies printed me a replacement chimney and smokebox door of much better quality than those in the kit.

53470337468_eb1bbc1dcb_b.jpg

53469294662_0327326d5c_b.jpg

53469294817_d9298a4b44_b.jpg

Talking of the chimney, Mike Hopkins of Scale Factors offered to get a chimney cast in red bronze from Mick's CAD file.  The finished loco will have a copper (ish) cap!

I was very lucky and someone offered me a set of Reynolds castings for the backhead.  They're a big upgrade on the printed one in the kit.

53470194221_7c08c5c373_b.jpg

53425887882_1033e8ebd8_b.jpg

There's more pics here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144381574@N05/with/53457855274

So my overall impressions of the kit are good.  The etches are excellent.  It's quite a complex kit, but goes together very nicely with care.  The panel for the firebox wrapper is a bit wrong, but easy to replace, and the front tank extension tops need a very minor mod.  Oh, and the brackets that support the underside of the tank extensions are designed to go in the wrong place, but that's easy to resolve too.

From a commercial point of view it's a nice easy job to build as a commission.  There's no horrible mistakes to rectify, that would add significantly to the cost of the job.  The kit costs 350 GBP, or thereabouts, which is a decent price for a kit of a very esoteric loco.  The designer won't be selling many of these, so the price is very fair considering his developement costs.  Actually I would have been prepared to spend another 50 GBP on the kit if it had had all the parts I had to source in the box, as it would have saved time/money tracking all the replacement parts down.

The brief was to build the model out-of-the-box.  It has quite a basic chassis but has some sensible upgrades to the body, all at relatively low cost....apart from the luxury chimney!  It took me 126.5 hours to build, of which 23 hours was the chassis assembly.  It is debateable whether the loco would benefit from inside motion, as so little of it is visible.  It would have taken IRO 56 hours to fit up, as the chassis would have needed some pretty serious reworking of the frame stays etc. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

Here it is back from paint.  The rods are black as it is going to Neil Podbery.  He'll be throwing mud and grease at it!  When he's finished weathering it, the loco will be going straight to it's owner, so this will be the last I see of it.

53554697522_b97c90ced9_b.jpg

53555749863_636fb32c6e_b.jpg

53555749988_da762ae4cd_b.jpg

53555885824_3515f6976c_b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1