Sutton 24 Lighting

26A

Morning all

I recently got a Sutton 24 second hand and wonder if someone might be able to assist me with a few CV changes. 

I'm wondering if it's possible to turn the cab lighting completely off, it's a function that I never use. 

I was also under the impression the cab light turns off automatically when power applied but mine doesn't seem to do it. Not an issue when I plan to have them off entirely, but it's an odd one. 

Any help much appreciated. Cheers. 

6 hours ago, 26A said:

I'm wondering if it's possible to turn the cab lighting completely off, it's a function that I never use. 

Does F22 turn them off?

• RMweb Gold

I'd have to dig out the paperwork to confirm but I think the ability to manually turn off the cab lights was only added to the the second batch of 24's.

F20 is supposed to turn them off on the RTC version at least, probably some sort of CV change doable to make it so they were off by default and F20 turned them on.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Nick G said:

This is a function list but can't remember for the 1st or 2nd releases (possibly 1st?)

SLW Class 24 F Key.pdf 155.75 kB · 1 download

Comparing with the function list for mine thats the first batch.

Had a read at the PDF version of the sound documentation and it sounds like the first batch need to use a function to turn on the cab light but the 2nd batch has it on by default when stationary.

Class-24-RTC-F-key-List.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Comparing with the function list for mine thats the first batch.

Had a read at the PDF version of the sound documentation and it sounds like the first batch need to use a function to turn on the cab light but the 2nd batch has it on by default when stationary.

But the behaviour is all down to decoder programming - ie. the settings inside the decoder which can be changed.    The answers as to how it is setup can be found by downloading all the CVs and looking at them.  DecoderPro will do that.   I'm predicting Sutton did it with Swiss Mapping, but without a data to go on, that's my guess.     Cab light is a specific output behaviour. 
And,  if the loco is using F20 to suppress the cab light, then one can quickly reprogram F20 to be "inverted" using "Zimo input mapping" - Map F20 to "inverted F20"  (CV#420).   Then the cab light is "off" until F20 is turned on (when it will respond to stationary or moving).   

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Not read the decoder fully in a while but this is the swiss mapping for mine if its of any use:

OK,  that tells me how its done.   (And I've another update to do to the Zimo file for DecoderPro).  

Group 5 has a value of 148.   This is 128+20.    Which means "inverted F20".    (And its the "inverted" set which isn't coded within DecoderPro, which is why it says "reserved").   

Change CV454 (Group 5, F-Key) to 20, and it means F20 turns the light on.   Elsewhere will be a setting for moving/stationary (probably the lighting output for FO7 and FO8 ).

• Informative/Useful 2

On 19/01/2024 at 19:35, Kaput said:

Not read the decoder fully in a while but this is the swiss mapping for mine if its of any use:

On 19/01/2024 at 19:45, Nigelcliffe said:

OK,  that tells me how its done.   (And I've another update to do to the Zimo file for DecoderPro).  

Update to the Zimo files to cover the "inverted" functions within Swiss Mapping has been submitted to the JMRI project.   If wanting to update own system before the file makes it into a JMRI release, then file is on GitHub at  https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/issues/12849    download, unzip the contents (one file) and replace the corresponding file within the JMRI installation. 

- Nigel    

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Whilst the automatic cab lighting is a feature on the newer releases, it can also be done on older models by sending the chip to SLW directly to be reblown with their updated project.

Will report back soon.