ESU 3.5v Loksound + Stay alive

rorz101uk

Hi All, I’m planning to fit some stay alive on some of my older 3.5V loksound decoders, basically my Class 08 fleet. I can’t find the wiring diagram to know where to fit the stay alive any help cheers 

Its possible, but not "dead easy".     Requires two additions to the decoder, one for full-voltage and one for a lower voltage for the microprocessor alone.   Some time with an internet search engine should bring up the exact details.   

It is not documented by ESU, and wouldn't have been supported by them when the 3.5 was in production,  that decoder is now so old that its outside of any ESU warranty support.  

Edited by Nigelcliffe

7 minutes ago, rorz101uk said:

With all the 3.5v that I own should I just update to a loksound 5V? 

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I have a whole heap of v3.5 LokSounds still in use. If one stops working, I'll replace it (and its speaker) with a v5, but there's no point in spending money to replace a perfectly serviceable decoder.

That's my thoughts on the subject, anyway. 🙂

Edit: further ideas: if the loco with the v3.5 decoder is playing up and stalling, replace that decoder with a v5 with stay-alive, then reblow and reuse the v3.5 elsewhere. There are still v3.5 sound projects available from major sound suppliers.

Edited by SRman
Additional ideas.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...