Hornby Class 31 factory fitted LokSound V3.5

cravensdmufan

I have recently acquired a Hornby Class 31 Railfreight red stripe (R2900XS), used but in mint condition.

I really like the loco and I think the sound is actually quite good, especially after I managed to turn the loud fan sound off, thanks to @pheaton 's post from 2015.

Just wondering if there's any way to alter the sound trigger thresholds on it's LokSound v3.5 decoder?  As soon as the loco moves the engine sound revs up.  With other sound projects, the revs don't kick in until, say, speed step 5.  So with this one, you can't get a coasting/idling sound at slow speed.

Not sure who supplied Hornby with the sound file file for this model.

The instruction sheet states:  "The LokSound v3.5 decoder offers more options than described ... the experts amongst you can use information outlined in the LokSound v3.5 manual".

I have looked at the said manual but I still haven't a clue!  After all, I'm no "expert"!

I know I could get it re blown by Leggomanbiffo, but I already have a couple of his excellent class 31 sounds;  if I could possibly adjust this one it would give a bit of variety.

Thanks in advance.

The old 21-pin Hornby sound locos (SKU suffix XS) were ESU decoders with Hornby specified sound files loaded by ESU according to the ESU UK sounds archive section. As such the files are not available to reload. Note the v3.5 decoder needs a 100 ohm speaker and these are rare as hen's teeth.

Edit - it is assumed you are looking at this instruction sheet 360015923240

Edited by RAF96
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

The old 21-pin Hornby sound locos (SKU suffix XS) were ESU decoders with Hornby specified sound files loaded by ESU according to the ESU UK sounds archive section. As such the files are not available to reload. Note the v3.5 decoder needs a 100 ohm speaker and these are rare as hen's teeth.

Edit - it is assumed you are looking at this instruction sheet 360015923240

Thank you for that information.

Yes, that is the instruction sheet I have; it says to refer to the ESU LokSound v3.5 manual that provides further information about the decoders capabilities.

But without knowing which CVs were used for the trigger thresholds, I can't try any adjustments.

(The Hornby TTS manuals were very good. Everything was explained really well and they showed the CVs to alter to adjust the trigger thresholds and also those to fine tune motor performance.  As a result, all my TTS fitted locos perform faultlessly!)

I guess I may now fit this loco with a TXS  31 sound which is good, or have the decoder re blown.

24 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Thank you for that information.

Yes, that is the instruction sheet I have; it says to refer to the ESU LokSound v3.5 manual that provides further information about the decoders capabilities.

But without knowing which CVs were used for the trigger thresholds, I can't try any adjustments.

(The Hornby TTS manuals were very good. Everything was explained really well and they showed the CVs to alter to adjust the trigger thresholds and also those to fine tune motor performance.  As a result, all my TTS fitted locos perform faultlessly!)

I guess I may now fit this loco with a TXS  31 sound which is good, or have the decoder re blown.

In my experience ESU manuals whilst comprehensive are not user friendly and trying to work out what is what and why is not easy.

• Agree 1

I am tempted to fire up JMRI and read and save all the CV settings on the decoder.  Then, consulting the ESU manual, fiddle with some of the sound related CVs.

If  When I mess up, at least if I can revert to the original settings. 😊

• Like 1