BR Mark 1 diagram 24 Restaurant car

• RMweb Premium

I might be wrong, but aren't the water tanks in the roof? The filler pipes go up that way, and then gravity feed to the kitchen....

Underneath you have battery and electrical boxes, gas cylinder storage, dynamo, and brake gear.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, keefer said:

Certain coaches had roof tanks but others had them mounted underfloor.

Parkin Mk1 book covers this.

Yes vehicles built for the WR had roof mounted tanks. The long roof top filler pipes are the tell tale …. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Yes vehicles built for the WR had roof mounted tanks. The long roof top filler pipes are the tell tale …. 

I think it was some dia.23 RU (and later conversions from these) that had them, unfortunately Parkin doesn't state which.

As far as I can tell all RB had underframe tanks.

To answer @1965Nick original question, there were two 100gal cylindrical tanks, one either side of the central trussing.

I thought they might be under the kitchen/pantry section but maybe they were mounted midway for even weight distribution.

It may be hard to tell the exact positions as they may be hidden by the other underframe eqpt i.e. gas bottle boxes, electrical cases etc. (Although I must admit I haven't looked very closely for them in pics!)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

Did the underfloor water tanks use pumps or were they under pressure?  I have memories of washing up in the kitchen of Pullman car "Barbara" in the early days of the K&ESR Wealden Pullman and we had a caravan type hand operated water pump to get water up from the underfloor water tanks which had been pressurised in the car's main line service but we're so no longer.  And water heated in kettles - things are much different these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From Parkin (p.134):

"Most batches [of the 1957-63 Production series] carried water in 100 gallon cylindrical tinned-copper tanks suspended from the underframe. These were of course well-lagged and could be electrically heated to prevent frost. Three tanks were used for the kitchen buffet [RKB] but two sufficed for the other vehicles.

Water was lifted by compressed air supplied at 10psi by an electrcally driven ¼ hp air pump. In case of pump failure, an emergency foot pump was available usually tucked away against a partition. Underfloor water storage had long been advocated for easier maintenance and better vehicle stability but lifting mechanisms were unreliable - even these units have given trouble as the stock has aged."

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

Thank you all for the replies. I think I know where the water tanks go; in the centre of the trussing as there is no space elsewhere with the refrigeration equipment, battery boxes and various control boxes. I don’t suppose it really matters but I’ll know. 

• Like 1

Nick,

Some pictures I took over 10 years ago of the RB at GWSR Toddington. I was modelling such a buffet car but in 7mm and I needed to get more detail so took some photos of the one waiting to be refurbished. I know caution needs to be exercised with stock in preservation as they do not always reflect when they were in BR days, but some significant items don’t change. 
I hope these photos are of use, I have provided some other wider shots so I hope you can get the context of where the tanks are positioned. I actually used one tank as the 2 tanks are close together. Good luck with your model. 
Regards

Chris

W1675 water tank.jpeg

W1675 Kitchen side.jpeg

W1675 End 1.jpeg

• Like 1

Nick,

I also found that I did indeed fit 2 tanks to my model. This was on a converted Lima O gauge model but I did also construct an EasyBuild diag 24 far more accurate than the compromises with the poor Lima models, and I plan on building other diags, I find the catering cars and their history fascinating. 

IMG_0337.jpeg

100_2704.jpeg

• Like 4