Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Lass 03 (or 04) conical exhaust

stewartingram

Anyone know of a 4mm source?

I've just retrieved from my junk box an old MTK model that I built, probably back in the 80s. It has been in my 'for disposal' box for at least 25 years after I got the 1st Bachmann RTR model, but looking at it I've decided to keep it. Not much TLC needed to revive a good model, but the exhaust cone has gone missing.

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

The Dapol 04 Drewry shunter kit might be an option.  Or possibly (and I don’t know the MTK kit if it’s possible) go for an early Upwell example with no exhaust stack and cowcatcher and side plates 

When I made the MTK kit all those years ago, I did purchase a brass conical exhaust from somewhere - I think it was possibly A1 models? However I've gone through my extensive list of favourites of suppliers, and cannot find anyone that lists one. I have in my stash of disposable items, an Airfix 04 kit; upon checking, I've already nicked the cone from it for something els!

I've found a few 04 kits on ebay and elsewhere, but at the moment we are talking around £15 and upwards; rather expensive for such a small item.

I've already done a W&U D2202, with a new resin cab and sideskirts, and a narrow straight pipe. from brass tube.

Someone on eBay was selling a 3D printed W&U type class 04 tram - I think the chimney was a separate print* to be glued on: perhaps ask about purchasing that separately?

Steve S

* I may be misremembering, but I think it came with both conical and straight chimneys in case you wished to model an Ipswich 04 etc

Stewart, 

I've been in contact with Al at NUI models, who does the side skirts/ cowcatcher parts for adding to a Bachmann 04. I'm sure if you ask him nicely, he can print one if he doesn't already have one in stock. I too converted my 04 years ago to 11102, very pleased how it turned out!

Tod

I've now got one on order from Alan Gibson (along with some other parts for different locos). Having tried some 3d printed resin parts on another project, which proved too fragile for use, I prefer the brass one I have on order.