2D CAD Software for iPad

• RMweb Gold

First posting in this particular forum as it’s an area that I have only become interested in within the past two years having gained access to a laser cutter.
A very similar request to John Besley’s topic “CAD Software” which I have read with interest.  I’ve started a separate topic so as not to cause confusion between packages that do or don’t work on iPad and or PC.

I started with Inkscape on the laptop, but I haven’t found it intuitive to use.  It is still part of my process but only for converting SVG to DXF and deleting unwanted layers before importing to Lasercut 5.3 in the club workshop.  I found Vectornator for use on the iPad and that has become my preferred way of working.  Vectornator was primarily an image manipulation tool aimed at producing screen designs.  It has become Linearity Curve with lots of extra moving image add ons that I will never use but is also becoming a paid app at £60 + tax per year.  Probably good value if you are using it as designed, but not when you’re using only 10% of the features.  There is a free version but it is limited to 3 files.

Examples of things I have designed are:

CAD240202Diagram.jpeg.356fae611cb3153ed71f74d2b5bfcbe4.jpeg

Signalbox diagram - I can keep this as one of my 3 free files.

CAD240202Wiring.jpeg.87f261163a31190d90394fc547f86bfd.jpeg

Wiring diagrams.  Even though I can ‘cheat’ by putting pages on different layers there will be far more than can reasonably be kept in one file.

CAD240202Laser.jpg.83c32ff7ce7d416510c80941a4d90fb1.jpg

Laser cutter designs.

So what would people recommend for doing these type of laser cutter designs and wiring diagrams that 

1. Runs on an iPad 

2. Is not an annual subscription (preferably free).

3. Is intuitive to learn in the early stages

4. Has the capability of precise positioning.

5. Preferably can import what I’ve done already in SVG.

Thanks,

Paul.

• Like 1