Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Moving soon 20x10 N gauge

Thanks Ian ,That’s a great help, Having another look at it today as I can see there’s a few errors, Once I’ve got this sorted I can order the points as I have more than enough code  55 flexi👍 Thanks Drew

Posted (edited)

So many things to sort,Need a depot that can be isolated up/down north and south, loops that can run while depot being used, Loops to run where there wasnt any and yet still trying to keep the look of bounds green depot and station. eeek Drew

Screenshot (47).png

Edited by Camps Junction

Having commuted for a number of years on the Hertford North line into London, I always thought that the arrangement at Bowes Park would be ideal for an exhibition layout.  At least in the 1980's empty stock came off the GNR mainline, on the branchline, crossing the mainline in the process.  They then proceeded past Bowes Park station and moved into a central siding between the two local lines. Then, under monitoring, they would reverse back to London, on the south-bound local line to enter into the depot.  I would be inclined to make use of this prototypical manoeuvre, perhaps re-locate your mainline station and relocate your depot along the long side of your layout.  I have prepared a very crude sketch of what I might do, with the main station possibly located on the shorter side. You will need to consider gradients, which is when the location B of the main station would make things easier. I have suggested a flyover bridge across the mainlines such as occurs at Harringay further south.

rmweb20x102024.png.db361afbd80d757eb4aab33989394780.png

Apologies for having turned your schematic upside down,  started sketching without thinking!

• RMweb Premium

Does this get anywhere near what you're after?  I can do some more work on it and explain my thinking if you're interested.  I've drawn it using Streamline 00 but the squares are 12" in N .....

camps2bmp.jpg.4058b1075cc4d4221815634f947eedd5.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Supplementary questions (having looked at Google Earth) - is the 4 track main line paired by speed or direction?  And what is the function of the middle line without a platform face?  I just can't work out what's going on here!

Posted (edited)

That is very very cdam lose, Its a shame you cant forward these programs, Thank you Drew PS if you want to pm me further updates on here or FB LOOK UP[ balfouri town], really be great help

Edited by Camps Junction

I realise that there is something missing from my scheme. At the moment, the movement of stock has empties from Kings Cross travelling north ( clockwise) and then reversing (anti clockwise) into the depot. After their stay in the depot they would then head back south to Kings Cross, to return later, on the prototype, heading back north. (Clockwise) However, on the layout there is no way for the southbound train to reverse its direction, so the trains have to circulate anti-clockwise for ever, although something could be incorporated in @Chimer ‘s fiddle yard, or is there room for a reversing loop using tighter radius curves in a hidden area.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chimer said:

Does this get anywhere near what you're after?  I can do some more work on it and explain my thinking if you're interested.  I've drawn it using Streamline 00 but the squares are 12" in N .....

camps2bmp.jpg.4058b1075cc4d4221815634f947eedd5.jpg

The problem I see with that is that the flying junction takes one line to the inside but then immediately has to crossover to the outside again with another flying junction. So it looks a bit artificial and the diverging  double track lines never really become true double track. You probably have the same misgivings.

There's also the issue that of the 6 circuits only 4 can be left running unattended at any time because of the shared quad lines on the left. Maybe that's not really a problem, though.

So here's an idea:

• Move the FY to the left.
  • The quad track runs around a generous curve on the right
  • After the flying junction bring the double track diverging lines together so they are true double track for a while. Maybe run them through a small station on the south side (see Bowes Park on google maps).
  • Maybe the quad track runs through a tunnel, like the prototype, allowing the double track line to cross over it to the outside less obtrusively. This is optional.
  • Then run the quad track main line and the double track line into the FY on the left, and crucially, resolve the double-track's inside/outside state in the fiddle yard by having another hidden flyover to get one line back where it started.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Camps Junction said:

That is very very cdam lose, Its a shame you cant forward these programs, Thank you Drew PS if you want to pm me further updates on here or FB LOOK UP[ balfouri town], really be great help

He can email/pm/attach the file if he’s happy to do so, they all just save locally. 

Edited by njee20

4 hours ago, Chimer said:

Does this get anywhere near what you're after?  I can do some more work on it and explain my thinking if you're interested.

Now I like that layout; looks operable and is a fair representation of the actual railway.

Ian

3 hours ago, Chimer said:

Supplementary questions (having looked at Google Earth) - is the 4 track main line paired by speed or direction?  And what is the function of the middle line without a platform face?  I just can't work out what's going on here!

Here's a close up of the station (circa 1999) from Google Earth:

2024-03-21_205448.jpg.221f9d97e8081d3f69e80aa1324fd871.jpg

The tracks (top to bottom) would be:

1. Down (NB) branch line #
  2. Down (NB) slow #
  3. Down (NB) fast
  4. Up (SB) fast ##
  5. Up (SB) slow & Up (SB) branch line # [they combine just north of the station - note that this differs to the 'current' arrangement]

# with platform

## with out-of-use platform (if you look at the current arrangement, there is a fence along this side of the platform, confirming it's OOU)

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Camps Junction said:

I'll keep working on it then, incorporating some good thoughts / ideas from @Harlequin@ISW and @Nick Holliday.  Just give me a couple of days .....

I'm more than happy to send you the source file if you PM me with your email address, but as it's drawn in XTrackCad with 00 track it might not be a lot of use to you!

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris that’s great Aslong as you don’t mind? I can just copy it then in code 55 finescale, There’s been so much good input and help like yourself on this I’m great full to all, As soon as we are at the new house I’ll order the 22x12shed and can get on building base boards, Thanks again everyone for your views ideas and work, Drew.

6 hours ago, Camps Junction said:

With the help of Chris and you all ive done this

Drew,

A couple of comments, as marked up on your layout plan:

2024-03-24_191234.jpg.0ce720e8206b6df2416d61a5f6fe2167.jpg

Additionally, have you checked / verified that there is sufficient space (track length) either side of the 2 overbridges to allow for a suitable gradient? Yes, I recognise that the addition of the crossover at the 'back' depot connection makes this issue a little harder ...

Ian

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

So this at present is  the track needed some of the point types might need to change for DCC but angles wont change, I allready have 8 box,s of code 55 flexi so just points and motors to order, Can anyone recommend a point motor make\? PS before i order ill wait to see what CHIMMER comes up with/

Screenshot (50).png

Edited by Camps Junction

Would it be an idea to get the shed built and baseboards assembled before committing to the expensive purchase of points? 

I wonder if sitting on the plan for a couple of months might make you continue to love it, or maybe fall out of love with it. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Camps Junction said:

Can anyone recommend a point motor make\?

Drew,

I'm a bit of a cheapskate, so I went with servos and a microswitch assembled into a self made bracket (heavily influenced by the original MegaPoints design).

This is the design:

ServoFitting-Turnout_resize.jpg.cb4f2d50f552f5641c7c9c277897f5f4.jpg

And here is one installed under one of my baseboards:

20201229_200337_resize.jpg.89cb690292f0d40bec746a2bd879da30.jpg

Obviously I've working on 00-gauge, but I can't see why it would not work in n-gauge. 

It's major advantages are availability of the parts (all off-the-shelf) and overall price. The whole thing is less than £10 for each assembly.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I’ve used servos in the past,  but would recommend MTB MP1s now. That’s another major expense though. 

I’m not sure I understand the list, it seems to be repeating? You say point types might need to change for DCC, but there’s nothing “DCC” about Peco points, they’ll all work fine. I’d urge you to use the large points wherever possible, you’ve got bags of space and you’ll be rewarded with better running. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, njee20 said:

I’ve used servos in the past,  but would recommend MTB MP1s now. That’s another major expense though. 

I’m not sure I understand the list, it seems to be repeating? You say point types might need to change for DCC, but there’s nothing “DCC” about Peco points, they’ll all work fine. I’d urge you to use the large points wherever possible, you’ve got bags of space and you’ll be rewarded with better running. 

Hi . All points in my plans are large

radius No short or mediums were used thanks Drew

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for MTB point motors, but I also agree with the idea of focusing on the shed build before buying any more track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The shed build will be done in a day, The base is already there, It will be just a matter of a possible visit to bounds green take a lot of photos from various angles while we wait till we move which is now second week of May which also gives me time to sit on the plan till then and see what occurs, Thank you all for so much help with this and teaching me the workings of said depot, I’ve spoken to KMS in Scotland who said points could be sent out in under a week, I’ve re-used kms as I purchased the 8 box’s of code 55 at the Railway Exhibition at the NEC last year, I just hope this wasn’t the last Warley Show. Drew

• Like 1