Grey oak photo shelf

Never built anything railway before even though I'm a huge fan of diesel locomotives. I have seen and like what other modellers are producing with photo planks and shelf layouts.

I popped to my local homebase store yesterday and purchased a grey oak photo shelf which is 600 x 100mm. This is ideal for showing off my new class 56 from Cavalex. 

I have added a 6mm length of board to the shelf so to lift the track from being to low inside the shelf. My track arrived this morning so I cut it using my trusty dremil and it is glued in place using some evo stik I have spare and weighted it down to set. I will add a photo this afternoon when I get some time.

rsz_20240204_114011.jpg.e159f618babb134ac95878f0f8f92ad1.jpg

Edited by Sectorisation
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi @Sectorisation and welcome. Nice choice of finish for the photo shelf - grey oak should set off the model nicely.

If you need some inpiration (over and above the excellent examples you've already found), quite a few talented modellers on here have used IKEA's Mosslanda version of this shelf to create photo planks, vignettes and even micro layouts - it's a subject that interests me too, I've included a search URL for you to check out if you're interested:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/search/?q=mosslanda&quick=1&type=forums_topic

Good luck with your own build - I'm sure I'm not the only one interested to see more photos.

• Thanks 1