Temos - or TeMoS - a bit more GDR model railway history

rekoboy

Temos (short for Technische Modellspielwaren) was set up by Herbert Franzke and partners in 1948 in Köthen/Anhalt, home town of Frau Rekoboy. After an initial false start with H0 scale rail wagons they turned their hand to making very appealing model railway accessories, buildings and 'mini-scenes'. All German (W and E) model railway accessory manufacturers, from Busch through Vaupe, Pola, Brawa,  Faller to OWO, Auhagen and Temos included so-called mini-scenes, ready-made little dioramas, in their ranges in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. Temos was particularly good at producing appealing little dioramas which often included figures and vehicles from other companies. Recently, I was beside myself with happiness to secure, for a very modest price, a boxed, mint-condition Temos mini-scene. The van body is either by Zeuke (later BTTB) or by a sub-contractor to Zeuke and BTTB, Dietzel of Leipzig. The figure is original, probably VEB Harzer Schmuck or its predecessor, but is rather an unfortunate choice as the guy looks like either a madman or a burglar, rather than a railwayman! Temos  ended its days, sadly, as a producer of camping tables and chairs, a victim of GDR state rationalisation of manufacturers. There is not a huge amount of material around on the company. Herbert Franzke's son produced a very nice booklet on Temos a few years ago, I have still not managed to get a copy. There is also an informative book by Wolfgang Ziemert in a series on GDR toy firms. I am attaching a link to an English-language website on Temos.

http://davidksmith.com/birth-of-n/temos.htm

Temos1.jpg.9bd0eb75ba8789b2d6b54d46356ce1b7.jpgTemos2.jpg.7c456b31662a13a78622ed83c7c9d5c3.jpg

Temos Sammlerfaszination 2.pdf

Edited by rekoboy
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

This is fascinating, thank you so much for sharing the photos and information on it!

I don't recall ever having seen any other Temos items, but the scenic materials used (dyed sawdust, etc.?) remind me of those included in a couple of GDR-era structure kits I have. 

The whole thing, box and all, has a real charm and it's great that it has survived so long and in such good condition.

Among my small collection of TT items is a ready built house with small garden centre (glasshouses etc.) attached...I can't remember the manufacturer (Vero perhaps) but it has a similar sort of vibe to it albeit with a higher moulded plastic content.

I'll see if I can find it next time I'm at the storage unit.

Totally understand your delight at finding this,

Kind regards,

Simon.

• Friendly/supportive 1