Modern day train consists

TTDB

On researching some modern day DBAG freight train consists via YouTube uploads or watching the Mierlo-Hout  live stream WebCam I see that most intermodal container trains do not have any wagons with truck trailers on them I.e. HUPAC swap bodies. And vice versa if I see a HUPAC/swap body type of train I don’t see any articulated container wagons other than the odd wagon with a couple of 20ft tanktainers  mixed in with them  can anyone  confirm it to me this is the standard practice?

(When  I use the term HUPAC  I basically mean HGV trailer loaded into a well wagon) thank you

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think you may need to search a bit further online to find a variety of freights on the DB network - I am attaching a photo (courtesy dpa) to this post with a photo from the Rhine valley - quite a variety in the train. The best source for photos, admittedly a chore to sort through the posts, is this...

https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/list.php?004

The site is updated constantly - I try not to go to it too often as I find myself whiling away too many hours!

You get some really top quality photos on 'Drehscheibe Online' - like these....

https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?004,10700172

or these...

https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?004,10689244

Rheintalfracht.jpg.2085bc7831bb5e5742cbbe9018b037e1.jpg

Edited by rekoboy
  • Thanks 1

A lot of the trains you see on the Rhine route are effectively 'company trains', so will be loads of the same type to/from the same operators ship either in the Med or on the North Sea coast, so they aren't quote as mixed as you might imagine. 

The number of LKWalter blue trailers an swap bodies is noticeable, they come all their way from Italy across Switzerland and Germany to France or Belgium on rail, before being off loaded, to clutter up the motorways of Britain.

Jon

2 hours ago, jonhall said:

A lot of the trains you see on the Rhine route are effectively 'company trains', so will be loads of the same type to/from the same operators ship either in the Med or on the North Sea coast, so they aren't quote as mixed as you might imagine. 

The number of LKWalter blue trailers an swap bodies is noticeable, they come all their way from Italy across Switzerland and Germany to France or Belgium on rail, before being off loaded, to clutter up the motorways of Britain.

Jon

I remember several Ewals Cargo Care block trains a few years ago on the Rhine 

My go to photo site is Bahnbilder.de

I tend to find that containers  (deep sea type) run in block trains of containers, separately from other intermodal type - ie lorry semi trailers (HUPAC - style- and other 'swap body' type containers  

14 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

My go to photo site is Bahnbilder.de

I tend to find that containers  (deep sea type) run in block trains of containers, separately from other intermodal type - ie lorry semi trailers (HUPAC - style- and other 'swap body' type containers  

Thanks I will take a look I’m not a 100% prototypical on what I will operate on my upcoming layout but I do like a correct looking train I have 4 double sdggmrs loaded with deep sea containers (thanks for reminding me the correct title) and wanted to add one more wagon I noticed a reasonable price on a double well wagon with hgv trailers on as wasn’t sure if it was correct ,,so now maybe 2 trains a container and swap body!

Edited by TTDB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If it helps, I have just about got most of my Rhein Valley photos from a couple of years ago reuploaded after the server crash - they may help in someways.  I have got several hundred from that trip however, only a small number are on the thread as it is a bit repetitive, but if there's anything specific do shout I'll take a look.

Rheinland 2019

Rich

• Thanks 1