Hornby track v Peco

Hi gents, really don't want to be controversial, particularly as as this is one of my 1st contributions.

Just attempted a repair on a Hornby point with the help of a mate. Hopeful my superglue fix will hold...but if it fails see no alternative but  to cut out the offending piece and replace.

This would be a major piece of surgery for a relative beginner ( despite advanced years) ...but must say if I'm forced into this there is an upside.

Recently decided to extend my 8'x 4' layout and bought peco track. The difference in quality was so immediately obvious to me just wished somebody had told me.

So if I must replace my Hornby point, the replacement  will be a no brainer.

And if it goes well who knows how many other points, ( and indeed track sections ) I may decide to replace 🤔

So my question is am I being too picky...or should all rookies be advised ...you get what you pay for.

Edited by Alex Kadyshevich
Didn't get text in

From what I can see Hornby made points, and Hornby badged other peoples points and Hornby have points made in the far east to a range of specifications and various qualities including using steel  and nickle silver rail at different times, Generally the points of similar style are interchangeable.  With some exceptions Peco set track has similar geometry  but the Hornby points I have used are generally more robust and more suitable for assembling on the kitchen table or lounge floor or Patio for an operating session, they have better over centre springs than Peco, better point blade contacts, better surface mount point motors  but don't look as good and  cannot easily be operated by under baseboard mounted point motors.
I happily mix Peco set track and Peco Streamline points, the improved appearance and closer track spacing makes a big difference  and the shallower angles create a lot less derailments, and the smallest Streamline point, the small Y is a lot shorter than any Set Track point while the standard 2nd radius  Set track point is  15" radius through the bades and is as long as a 2ft radius streamline point.  I wouldn't swap Hornby for Peco set track, I would redesign and use streamline points if you want an upgraade.

Peco have a much bigger range than Hornby too.

Streamline is much better looking. Not just a better six foot but a choice of different radii points & they also do steel & concrete sleeper track. An HST or class 87 looks silly pulling a rake of Mk3s on a main line layout with nothing but wooden sleepers, but Hornby don't provide any other choice. Flexi track is a slightly different mind set, but I would not use anything else now & Hornby make this too.

Electrofrog is another discussion. For those willing to do a bit of extra work wiring, these are much more reliable than Hornby or Setrack (which are both insulfrog).