COUPLING FOR KUEHN LOCO & PIKO COACHES

Twinrover

I've had the Kuehn 31200 TT DB BR110 loco, an excellent runner by the way, since March 2019 which hitherto I have run solo without any coaches or wagons.

However, I now have 4 Piko Reko coaches 47604 et al fitted with lighting including a Mitropa to complete the picture. Unfortunately, the coupling between loco and coaches doesn't match. Can anyone advise of a common solution?

I have a supply of a Tillig 46040 couplings; would they be of any use?

In addition, can anybody recommend a suitable decoder for the loco?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi TwinRover,

My preference is for the type fitted to the Kuehn loco, if you want to change the coaches to this type and you're in Britain, you could buy Hornby TT8040.  These are now the standard type of TT coupling being supplied by all major brands.  For example, the same type of coupling is sold as Roco 4081900.

If you prefer the type fitted to the Piko coaches, Tillig 08872 will convert the loco.  This will not couple vehicles as closely as the above mentioned couplings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry, I forgot to mention decoders.  The loco has an NEM651 6 pin socket, lots of people have their own opinions on decoders, but any with that should work.  My own preferences are Zimo or Lenz, I think Bachmann's current 6 pin one is Zimo.  You will want the straight pins, not the ones at 90 degrees to the decoder.  Here's a selection from Coastal DCC:  https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/decoders/6pin-direct?page=2 According to the Kuehn manual, the available space is 17mm x 10mm x 5mm.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 1