Re - wheeling Lima OO CCT...

Lima 00 stock is unusual in using H0 underframes and axles. Not a huge issue unless you want to re wheel to EM or P4 where the underframe is very marginal for width for wheel clearance and pretty much under scale.
Re wheeling for 00 is not too complicated, 00 axles are too long.  So pull the wheels off. Chop the surplus length off with your Dads pliers, stick the axle in a power drill and rub it against a flat file until you get a nice pin point.  I doesn't have to be exactly right, only to the nearest half mill, then pop the wheels back, set the back to back with a suitable gauge, mine is a Jengo brick and bobs your mother's brother. Unless you have used fineish scale wheels on a 4 wheel CCT and have curves on gradients.   Then it will need some flexibility.  I did consider  fancy etched  rocking 3 point suspension but they rocked excessively and jt was difficult to keep live wheels away from the etching.   Then Yer eaker.  I had a wheelset with no pinpoints and a pin from an old 3 pin 240 volt plug.   I drilled the pin using a Dremel in a drill press to take the axle, Sawed it off just below the hole and using the screw which usually holds the wire I screwed it to the chassis. And it works.  There is minimal sideplay as the wheel and axle stubs hit the sides of the W irons etc rollability is similar and there is just enough slop to run faultlessly around my inclined curves which they could not cope with as standard.  Buffer height is up with larger wheels but matches Hornby now
It has since had a blast of rattle can black  but I did the photos first for clarity.

DSCN2689cr gs.JPG

DSCN2690.JPG

Edited by DCB
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1