Servicing a Heljan Class 47

I've got a Heljan Class 47, number D1100. It's not a good runner and at first glace the wheels look like they need  good clean. However I am stumped as to how to get access to them - is there a way to get the plate off the bottom of the bogies, or is it a matter of rubbing each wheel as much as I can, then applying a little power to turn the wheels slightly? I'm hoping that I will not need to unplug all those electrical clips to the PCB (6), remember how they faced, and get in through the top.

Is this the original designmodel released from about 2001? If so the sideframes pull off horizontally for sufficient access to the wheels.

If it is an early example, the wheels were in bronze appearance alloy which collected track dirt. Heljan latterly installed nickel silver wheels not prone to this problem and these were offered as spares. Gaugemaster handle distribution of Heljan, and will be able to advise.

Model number is #4700. I don't know how long I've had it but quite possibly yes. Polystyrene box. The only date I can find (possibly) is on the parts explosion - Rev. 17.08.00. Purchased from Railwayania of Swindon. Yes, I have managed to pull off the side frames, which gives me some more access. Is this also how I get the plate off? I can see what look like lugs - sorry can't post photos. I've got both Isopropanol and Brake & Clutch Cleaner (From a James May programme when he cleaned a locomotive) - is one better than the other? Body is off so no worries about damaging the paintwork

If you've got the bogie sideframes off that should be enough to clean the wheels, without further dismantling.

Turn it upside down in a cradle or on a soft surface, then apply power to a pair of wheels and use a cotton bud soaked in cleaner to the other wheels.

If the alloy of the wheels is deeply tarnished you could try holding a very fine piece of emery paper, or something like a Tamiya sanding stick, against the wheel treads as they rotate, in order to make a start, but go easy!

John.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/02/2024 at 15:43, stewartingram said:

One of my wheel cleaning methods involves using an XACTO knife blase (probably an old discarded one), applied to the wheel surface, whilst power is applied.

Similar, but I use a glass-fibre scratch brush (Expo ref. 70510) - the name makes it sound coarser than it is. It works very well but, as I'm sure many will testify from experience, it has to be used with care, as broken-off fibres lodged in your skin are quite painful -  they can be difficult to see to get tweezers onto but at least you know where they are! So these days during the powered cleaning process I make sure I have no fingers in the 'drop area', gently blow any residue off the model directly into a solid waste bin and use a soft brush to do the same to the table top where I was working, and I don't rub my hands together until I've given them a wash, firstly under free-flowing water. Sounds like a faff but it just takes a couple of minutes and I've had no glass-fibre-induced painful experiences for years.

• Agree 1