Accuracy or aesthetically pleasing?

Should I build the terrace:  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should I build the terrace:

• Accurate to the prototype
    • Aesthetically pleasing

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

An alternative if you're up for it would be to slice through the houses and model the interiors where rooms and lofts are exposed - it might drive you mad but it would certainly be a feature!

I love the idea, I just don't know if I have the inclination with 60ft of layout to detail!

Andi

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Now that I've looked at Google maps (and feeling slightly ashamed of my pontificating), I want to change my answer.

I agree with the shorten-the-gardens-and-flatten-the-angle-a-little-bit camp. The angle, houses and gardens are distinctive but the precise lengths and the precise angle are not. If the gardens end up too short and stubby, you could subtly alter all the dimensions enough to insert another house, this preserving the proportions.

And I think that you need to do enough fudging to allow for some road on other other side of the houses, as a delimiter.

Awh. You can't just go and change your answer now that I've 'liked' it.

• Funny 2

I debated with myself for along time about including a cut through building on the front, as it is a real location, I decided I would never be happy omitting it, even if it does restrict viewing and maybe a bit ugly on the front, the layout width is scale, the length reduced by 40%, Florida Potato and Onion, Plant City, Florida.

SS Plant City.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So long as it doesn't obscure too much, I'd be tempted to try the sliced-through buildings idea, but not with open fronts (to do the whole row would be a huge task, but also might look a bit gimmicky I think), but rather just 'blanked off' as part of the facia, similar to the post above. However, I'd use matt black rather than white or a light colour, for the same reason it's used in theatres; to make it disappear. It would blend the unusual outline into the facia, and the eye would be drawn to the layout rather than to the odd shapes along the front.  

4 minutes ago, JDW said:

So long as it doesn't obscure too much, I'd be tempted to try the sliced-through buildings idea, but not with open fronts (to do the whole row would be a huge task, but also might look a bit gimmicky I think), but rather just 'blanked off' as part of the facia, similar to the post above. However, I'd use matt black rather than white or a light colour, for the same reason it's used in theatres; to make it disappear. It would blend the unusual outline into the facia, and the eye would be drawn to the layout rather than to the odd shapes along the front.  

An option with the blanked off matt black approach would be to have the interior of just one house modelled with a clear/perspex viewing window. That would create a feature/talking point!

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1