Bosnia

D6332

A recent trip to investigate this led to much inspiration. The coal mine with a narrow gauge on a shelf above. USA ta k, the last 0-6-0t and the last Kriegslok. GE Short cabs still existing, Big GMs and narrow gauge steam and hydraulics, surely a modellers paradise. Particularly a station made from a 20ft container but with a wooden and corrugated material swiss cottage roof, it's a spotters paradise....

Any info gratefully received, particularly and 3d models the NG wagons, Narrow gauge locos....

• Like 7

I was on the same trip as D6332 and have wanted to do something in model form post Bosnian trip. I have just ordered the Trumpeter Gauge 1 Kriekslok loco, from The Model Centre, a steal at 97 pounds. I'm still tempted by the Minerva o gauge USA tank. A friend has just furnished me with plans for a GM 'Kennedy' and coupled with acquiring a laser cutter am thinking could I scratch bui!d one. I will modify the Kriekslok to represent prototype 33-248 which we saw haul coal traffic and a number of us cab rode, as part of the group with FarRail Tours.

I struggle with finding things on Shapeways, but have no joy finding an Bosnian narrow gauge, or the iconic class 83 in any sca!e. 

Ill post on here some prototype photos which may help modellers. As D6332 indicates its a fascinating rail system in a really interesting country and deserves modelling. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Roco do a model of a class 399 OBB 0-8-0 which is based on the JZ 83 in HOe

The SNCF 030 is available which is almost a USA tank. in HO. 

Shapeways only has a Kennedy in HO

It does look rather LARGE in O scale! 

However there are mines with just a one road hopper by the mainline, rather like Glasshoughton and others, or using another site with a tiny station.

I thought I.d try a GP24 as similar but drawings might be helpful.

edit just realised phone and computer have different logins!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember reading a fascinating write up of travelling on the railway I think by PB Whitehouse, I think Nills Huxtable wrote about travels in those Iron Curtain days

Double headed 83's over the mountain...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Tito Banovići Coal Mine.

So I never knew it was named after Tito

All the Class 25s narrow gauge came here, details are below:

It is a locomotive with the following characteristics (data from LO49 from 1949):

1. Similar to the method of steam action
2. Number of cylinders 2
3. Type of steam saturated
4. Rolling circle diameter 850 mm
5. Locomotive weight:
- Empty 20.5 t
- In service 27.5 t
- Atheziona 25.5 t
6. Distance between the end axles 7,900 mm
7. Hensinger-Walscanert rudder system
8. Steam brake which was converted to a compressed air brake in 1983 with
- Kočnik Božić
- Erlikon distributor
9. The boiler has the following characteristics:
- Maximum permissible pressure 14 atm
- Heating surface 14.81 m2
- Grill surface 1.22 m2
- Firebox dimensions 1.259x1x1.09
- Dimensions of water heating pipes Ø49.5/Ø44.5x2850, there are 133 pipes in the boiler
- The type designation is 0-3-0
- The track width is 760 mm
- The maximum permitted speed is 30 km/h
- There is no speedometer
- Two-stage air pump

Can't find much on the 55s als0 one steamable at Banovici. 

5 may have been built by "BP in 1947 " Can only think Beyer Peacock> edit Buda-Pest

Works 5596/47? 

But the Banovico one is definitely a Skoda

Edited by Roadrails

14 hours ago, Roadrails said:

image.png.1e73422e8b120deb455149d7a859cd72.png

There is a bit of dual gauge round the engine shed.

Indeed there is - the Standard Gauge Skoda - an 0-6-0 tank loco; is parked there awaiting axle box repairs - it has a twisted frame. Amusingly the standard gauge rail just ends, without a wheel stop - so an unsuspecting standard gauge driver could run out of rails! 

3D printed kits exist for the narrow gauge 740 diesel and 83 steam in H0e, running gear not included but the 740 is designed to use parts from Halling and the 83 requires a Roco 399 as a donor. Manufacturer is Skapa Model, no website but their brochures are floating on various forums ~ https://www.lokschuppen-dominik.de/Forum/skapa.modell_2021-04.pdf

Narrow gauge rolling stock is non-existent both RTR or kit form as far as I'm aware.

Standard gauge traction is also pretty poorly served in model form, ACME did a RTR electric loco but this is an Italian-derived loco that ran on the DC network in Slovenia. Someone was making small series models of some of the mainline American-style diesels but I can't recall the name, expensive but not too bad if you consider they are hand-made small series models. Strangely nobody does a model of the license built Swedish Rb which numbered nearly 300 and ran across most of former Yugoslavia as well as in Romania.

Standard gauge rolling stock is a bit better served, ACME have done a number of coaches in JZ, HZ & SZ liveries, Roco have done a number of goods wagons in JZ, HZ & SZ liveries, and some other manufacturers have done Yugoslav rolling stock - LS Models once did a bogie goods van in JZ & SZ liveries, Albert Modell do a number of bogie tankers, Klein Modellbahn did a number of 2- & 4-axle open wagons and a 2-axle tanker in HZ livery. Not aware of anything RTR in Bosnian liveries (post-JZ).

Web searches will be pretty futile (i.e. googling in english) unless you know more precisely what you're looking for and are searching in Bosnian/Croatian/Serb on search platforms in those languages.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Roadrails said:

Sadly the Skapa modell seems defunct. Anyone else a different link or email?

Have you tried emailing them? Their products were being stocked by a retailer in Austria a couple of years ago, but not heard anything about them since 2022. The models did exist, I've seen several being made by a few people.

6 hours ago, Stefan88 said:

Have you tried emailing them? Their products were being stocked by a retailer in Austria a couple of years ago, but not heard anything about them since 2022. The models did exist, I've seen several being made by a few people.

The email is defunct...hopefully will return one day.

On 20/02/2024 at 22:43, Roadrails said:

Kennedy basic dimensions all I can find 

The JŽ /ZFBH 661 class is the EMD model G16. Below is the diagram from this model's original specification brochure (from the collection of the Israel Railway Museum). Note that the diagram has the mid-1950s cab design, as used on the single G16 demonstrator, whereas all other G16 locomotives had the angular cab roof, as on the 661. Also note that the diagram includes only a partial (head-on) representation of the dynamic brake grids and fan, as used on the 661.
G16.jpg.af353daaad502a7e074bda748061d032.jpg

If planning to model this type of locomotive, note that this has been done before:
https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/14721-yugoslavian-class-661-emd-g16-diesel-in-ho/
http://www.asalat.50megs.com/661.html
https://raymondwclam.blogspot.com/2008/06/kitbashing-emd-g16-model-in-ho-scale.html

The easiest source for the bogies in H0 is the Roco model of the Renfe 319, e.g.
https://www.roco.cc/ren/73692-diesel-locomotive-class-319-renfe.html

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chen Melling said:

The JŽ /ZFBH 661 class is the EMD model G16. Below is the diagram from this model's original specification brochure (from the collection of the Israel Railway Museum). Note that the diagram has the mid-1950s cab design, as used on the single G16 demonstrator, whereas all other G16 locomotives had the angular cab roof, as on the 661. Also note that the diagram includes only a partial (head-on) representation of the dynamic brake grids and fan, as used on the 661.
G16.jpg.af353daaad502a7e074bda748061d032.jpg

If planning to model this type of locomotive, note that this has been done before:
https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/14721-yugoslavian-class-661-emd-g16-diesel-in-ho/
http://www.asalat.50megs.com/661.html
https://raymondwclam.blogspot.com/2008/06/kitbashing-emd-g16-model-in-ho-scale.html

The easiest source for the bogies in H0 is the Roco model of the Renfe 319, e.g.
https://www.roco.cc/ren/73692-diesel-locomotive-class-319-renfe.html

Thanks. So with a crazy Kriegslok at uk o, obtained some years ago from a GOG member, and a usa tank coming, an old mth sd24 looks like it was scaled down to UK gauge for the Kennedy, hence small size. Compared to the massive coal wagons.... did the want to send to UK as well?!?!  Scaling the MTH from 1.48 to 1.43.5 its a shoe in. Just need a cheap old model...

Perhaps the transfers can be upscale....

7 hours ago, D6332 said:

Thanks. So with a crazy Kriegslok at uk o, obtained some years ago from a GOG member, and a usa tank coming, an old mth sd24 looks like it was scaled down to UK gauge for the Kennedy, hence small size. Compared to the massive coal wagons.... did the want to send to UK as well?!?!  Scaling the MTH from 1.48 to 1.43.5 its a shoe in. Just need a cheap old model...

Perhaps the transfers can be upscale....

Well, the G16 is certainly NOT a scaled-down SD24, not aesthetically nor technically. Practically every aspect of the two is different, from the engine (roots-blown 16-567C vs. turbo-charged 16-567D3) to the size, weight, bogies, cab-profile (angular vs. round) etc.

Having said that, Rule No. 1 applies!