RMweb

Ballast Hoppers

stadman

• RMweb Gold

If you know the particular type of wagon you are looking for you could try searching Paul Bartlett’s excellent site.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsealion

Edit:  Sorry - just realised that this was posted in London Underground section and so you are probably referring to a very specific wagon. 

Edited by BoD

18 hours ago, BoD said:

If you know the particular type of wagon you are looking for you could try searching Paul Bartlett’s excellent site.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsealion

Edit:  Sorry - just realised that this was posted in London Underground section and so you are probably referring to a very specific wagon. 

He only has 3 LT photos, all at derby. thanks for the response.

• RMweb Premium

Are you asking about the 1981-built hoppers (201-222) or the later Turbots (231-290)?

I can't find much at all about the bogie hoppers, apart from their inclusion in stock lists. I can't find any photographs in my not very extensive collection, nor have I found any online. They seem to be very elusive beasts. However, I have found a couple of mentions in the October 1981 Underground News. This paragraph is of relevance:

It has been observed that the new 30~ton hopper wagons (built by W.H.Davis, Langwith Junction, Shirebrook, near Mansfield, Notts.) although in yellow livery, have black LT fleetnames. The wagon number is on the black underframe and comprise white stickers. The wagons have standard trucks supplied by Gloucester, have buck-eye coupling and retractable buffers.

The "standard trucks supplied by Gloucester" are presumably those used for flat wagons F341-F391

Other mentions in the same edition of Underground News report that HW201 was delivered to Ruislip on 21st July and was taken out on test in July and August between Ruislip and Northfields, and that HW205, HW206 and HW207 were delivered to Ruislip on 3rd August. Several 4-wheel hoppers are noted as being scrapped or ready to be scrapped, and it seems the 22 bogie hoppers were intended to replace the 38 4-wheelers. All I can imagine is that they were found inadequate, hence the order for 60 Turbots just a couple of years later.

Likewise, I can find photos of the 4-wheel hoppers, the bogie low-sided opens, and the turbots, but not the bogie hoppers.

Some of the 4-wheel hopper photos are 1983ish suggesting that they weren't all scrapped immediately. But it seems that most were sold to preserved lines in the mid-80s and many still exist.

Possibly an answer to be found here?

https://districtdavesforum.co.uk/

I seem to recall the 1980's built bogie HW wagons had the unusual Gloucester bogies that are a bit like a Gloucester mkII but with resilient blocks to the bolster rather than coil springs- a bit like the bogies on this GP wagon. LT+935+ZG+28Sep18+a.jpg

I might have a square on photo of one fitted to a GP or RW, but not an HW - what do you need it for?

Jon

Pretty sure the Hopper Wagons have got a beefed up version of the Gloucester bogie, which matches that on the High Deck Wagons. I'll have a look at our data sheets and see if I've got a photo of them.

Regards,

Dan

Replying to all, it's the HW2XX series hoppers from the 80's I'm interested in.

Have basic drawing of them (Barrowmore group) but the bogie drawing is lacking.

Whilst similar to many Gloucester bogies the upper part is level so I'm not sure there is a BR equivalent that could be used + they are quite a long wheel base (1753mm).

Thanks.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...