Class 37 + Barrier + HST MK3 set

My question is, did / could the above formation ever occur in the period roughly 1990 to 1994? Usually if a HST mk3 set was to be moved between depots and no power cars where available , a barrier and a 47 would be used, but has a 37 ever done the job? Specifically looking at this time period as I know in modern times it has happened. Thanks in advance. 

I have no idea if a 37 hauled a rake of HST trailers in that period but they certainly hauled complete HSTs in BR days as there is photo evidence.  So imo it could easily have happened and is therefore reasonable.  No doubt the "that never happened" brigade might get exercised by it but they can't possibly know it didn't so who cares.  It's entirely plausible so imo it's fine

This would be the sectorisation period so for a move between depots it's most likely to have been an Intercity sector loco that did the job.

Probably one based close to the relevant HST depot. That probably makes a 47 most likely, but perhaps a 37/4 in Scotland?

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

This would be the sectorisation period so for a move between depots it's most likely to have been an Intercity sector loco that did the job.

Probably one based close to the relevant HST depot. That probably makes a 47 most likely, but perhaps a 37/4 in Scotland?

Don't forget in this period intercity owned infrastructure locos, so in the case of the Western,they owned a fair number of infrastructure 37s based at Bath Road and Canton. I was wondering if they could have been used occasionally on say a SPM to Laira stock move. 47s where definitely the choice motive power, just unsure if 37s ever did a move or not, though can't find a photo. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DY444 said:

I have no idea if a 37 hauled a rake of HST trailers in that period but they certainly hauled complete HSTs in BR days as there is photo evidence.  So imo it could easily have happened and is therefore reasonable.  No doubt the "that never happened" brigade might get exercised by it but they can't possibly know it didn't so who cares.  It's entirely plausible so imo it's fine

Indeed I have found plenty of photos of exactly this, generally as a rescue as opposed to a stock move between depots. I think it is certainly feasible though for a 37 to be used on ECS with a barrier, was just after the "smoking gun" photo or account, but I'll probably just have to go with the probability ! . Thanks.