Air brake and Vac brake Identication on Thai rail vehicles? Oh! and tail lamps

kevsmiththai

Hi

I think I know the answer but need a bit of reassurance

The Thai railway system had dual braking until quite late. I think the yellow star is Vacuum brakes and the red/yellow disc is Airbrakes. This close up is of a dual braked BV brake van

Also every pic I took of BVs and BBVs in service were during daylight hours where the rear vehicle displayed a red disc. What did they do in the dark?  When it got dark I had usually gone for a Singha or a Chang or a Red Horse (Headache brew)

Kev

Thai Brake system markings.jpg

On locos a red circle is air brake and yellow is vacuum. Loco 4301 has red/yellow so is dual braked. You can see the hoses for both. The end of train indication is a  disc , red circle edged in white.DSCN0598.JPG.87a03181c38e3488e0c58de0e9fb6736.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Farang

So do you have any idea what does the yellow star signify?

Did they use the red disc at night as well?

Despite what many people in the U.K railfan fraternity believe ,the tail-lamps over here ( With no brake vans ) are not to warn a following train that there is a train in front but to warn the signallers if the train has become divided. Before I retired, when I was a national on-call engineer for a well known U.K railfreight operator, I had a few calls where a signalbox reported no flashing light on the rear of one of our trains and had thrown a red in front of the train. It was usually a dead battery but on one occasion the tail lamp had actually bounced off and was found thirty miles back by a P-way inspector the following week, still flashing!

Kev

The BV Brake van I'm modelling in 1nM

Thai Railways BV Brake van 15107 at Nakhon Ratchasima  2009 (3).jpg

It is also on this BBV seen at Khon Kaen in 2009

BBV Brake van, Khon Kaen 2009 edit.jpg

I can't seem to get on to Rotfaithai.com anymore ( I think it was linked to my work email address which disappeared when I retired)  otherwise I would ask Wisarut, He would know

cheers

Kev

Edited by kevsmiththai