Cattle Traffic

MDP78

Whilst station track plan diagrams as well as photos confirm that many stations, even serving relative small settlements, were provided with cattle pens, in quite a few cases, the photos show these looking a little unkempt by late 1950s and 1960s suggesting they were not used frequently, even in the goods yards of smaller market towns. 

I appreciate that a photo represents a snapshot and perhaps in some areas livestock traffic may have been more seasonal. However by the late 1950s and early 1960s, how much livestock traffic was a village or small market town station likely to generate? Would it be a cattle wagonlaod or two? Or by this time, would these types of stations have lost this traffic to road, with cattle or sheep being put into lorries and driven to a larger town for loading onto trains? 

The ASLEF strike of May 1955 is likely to have been the final nail in the coffin for local livestock movements by rail, as it was for quite a lot of other rail-borne goods traffic, although the Suez crisis of the following year and the resultant petrol rationing may have brought a little back in the short term.

Bulk movement of cattle from the Irish sea ports by rail lasted rather longer.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There was a major rationalisation of cattle traffic in the late 1950s (c.1958 I think).  This reduced the number of locations continuing to handle cattle to around two dozen or so.  I found a list many years ago of the places which continued to handle the traffic but I can't find it now; a check of various NR annual statistics booklets might give the answer but I only have few of those.

As mentioned by bécasse bulk cattle imports through the Irish Sea ports, particularly Holyhead, lasted longer and were probably the final evidence of the traffic on BR.  In addition donkeys were imported from Ireland via Fishguard and sent by rail to Reading in the 1960s and they were loaded in cattle wagons but they were basically only occasional moves.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There was a major rationalisation of cattle traffic in the late 1950s (c.1958 I think).  This reduced the number of locations continuing to handle cattle to around two dozen or so.  I found a list many years ago of the places which continued to handle the traffic but I can't find it now; a check of various NR annual statistics booklets might give the answer but I only have few of those.

As mentioned by bécasse bulk cattle imports through the Irish Sea ports, particularly Holyhead, lasted longer and were probably the final evidence of the traffic on BR.  In addition donkeys were imported from Ireland via Fishguard and sent by rail to Reading in the 1960s and they were loaded in cattle wagons but they were basically only occasional moves.

I think I am correct in my recollection that BR's legal obligations as a "Common Carrier" did not apply to cattle traffic. They could therefore carry out this rationalisation and were free to refuse any cattle traffic offered if they wished.  

Andrew

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

They built new concrete cattle pens on the Manchester to Huddersfield line between Stalybridge and Miles Platting which I re call as a child,  but I don’t think they were ever used. That would be mid to late 60,s. I can’t remember seeing any cattle trains back then either but I was only at Primary School.

Edited by mac1960
  • Like 1