West Highland inspired OO gauge layout - Name to follow

barney121e

• RMweb Gold

So after a false start at the weekend have finally got a plan that works for me. Due to being only 6 x 4 there had to be compromises but for me i can work with them.

The trackplan is loosely based on Crianlarich but could be a few other places around the country, although with start with a scottish scenery feel, well that is the plan. On the single line at the top i may turn it into a fiddle yard. Someone has suggested a kick back but struggling to understand exactly what is it.

I have a varied stock at the moment, one or two with a scottish possibility but can run it as a heritage sort of line and then when i acquire some more appropriate locos could run it as a West Highland line station.

Have laid the track and given it a test run and all seem to be working well. So next steps are to underlay, pin the track to baseboard, weather and finally ballast.

Got a  couple of suitable buildings to put together, and of course the platform area. 

Signalling i understand a little after some help from another forum member, coupling also needs to be looked into.

Plan is below.

6x4_Crianlarichadj3tunnel.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So nearly an embarrassing issue. As will be a West Highland line inspired layout will use the Rannoch Moor station kit from peco. Luckily when looking at the kit saw the station is 114mm wide so had to increase the space between the tracks. Thankfully found it out now.

IMG_20240304_102133_2.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a little update. Although planning on software can give you a really good idea of a plan, when putting the track together sometimes it doesnt fit the space as you would expect. So after some replanning the track plan is this:-

6x4_Crianlarichadj10.jpg.0944ec68f06d2f32f0438395817cf03b.jpg

The blue circles are power connection 1, then the green and red circles are connections 2 and 3. The plan is very loosely based on Crianlarich on the West Highland line and one thing i have realised is to remember i am not not doing an exact copy of place, but a take on it. Still time for adjustments as the dreaded man flu has struck.

• Like 1