Hornsey Station and TMD 1980

It might be early days, but I thought I'd park this thread here now and maybe get some feelers out.

As the title suggests I'm looking at Hornsey in 1980, give or take a year. I have moved the introductory waffle at the end, because I have a few questions and I thought this way might be clearer.

I'm looking for more information on the location of the control box at Hornsey. If possible, more images too. I guess it was adjacent to Ferme Park Sidings? I believe it's demolished now. I found have one image from the LNER forums, but I can't quite place it on any aerial/wide images.

I'm also looking for a photograph of the Hampden road entrance as I believe the old steps were still there in 1980. So far all I have found is this painting to work from https://harringayonline.com/photo/hornsey-station-from-hampden-road1970s

Modelling from a painting will be interesting exercise... but if that's all I have, I'll certainly take a run at it.

I wonder if anyone have any images of this really cool sign at Hornsey TMD?

Hornsey1982sign.jpg.328deb0416221d655b531b3ddf094c87.jpg

Credit to Mike Lidgley's original photograph here https://www.flickr.com/photos/50256734@N05/6952179958/

And now the Waffle, for those interested in my long windy ideas for the project:

I have been using the theme of Hornsey station and TMD in 1980 for my loco/EMU design projects. Being 50 years old, the era has nostalgic appeal. Hornsey was chosen as it's my local station, but I have now first hand memory of the area then, as I lived in Bedfordshire. The 313 and 55s I have been working on are getting closer to being working models now and need to consider laying some track. (not to mention sorting out my loft).

I have completed the usual image research, Harringay Online, Geograph, Flickr have all been useful in building a picture of now as then.

I also have a current rail map, the detailed 1950s maps, and aerial photographs from 1982 from the national archive in Scotland - between all that I think I can interpolate some sort of track plan...

...but it's an ambitious size. I'm hoping by using 1:120 scale I can capture a fair bit of it, well, at least achieve some of it with the flavour of the time and place.  Practically, it's obvious I will have to curtail things quite a bit to get this to work, and there are some nice features that I wanted - like the crossing over the ECML between Hornsey and Harringay - that will have to go. Essentially, i guess it's mostly sidings... and six lengths of track. In terms of modelling 'fun', there are wooden and concrete sleepers, and there's even a bit of bullhead track left, with weeds. Operationally, however, I worry it might be a bit dull. I wonder if it's in anyway feasible to discreetly loop at least the fast lines, but I don't have a convenient tunnel to hide any of that.

In terms of what was running then, Hornsey offers a lot more variety than my home town of Flitwick back then.

I'm finishing off my 55 and 313 and then I'll begin working through MK1&2 coaches. From there I have classes 40, 312, 47, 31, 43, 08 on my list and eventually such things as battery locos, parcel vans and guards van. Obviously there's some overlap between my list, and Hornby TT120, but if I can work out my own bogies I think I might just trundle along doing my own thing. Partly, because I can't afford their models, partly because they might not look right against my home made offerings and also because they are generally useful designs and I might use them for 3mm or H0 one day. (I found a lovely photo of a goods yard, (Hornsey 1975, Paule Kearley), that, although gone by 1980, would make a nice standalone project in H0). I haven't even thought about freight yet... but there are already a few 3D files out there, so I think it will be pretty well covered by the time I get to it.

Final mentions...

I did see a thread on a possible Finsbury Park layout on here from some years ago... but i don't know if that bore any fruit? I would love a copy of the Finsbury Park book from the DPS mentioned therein but I think it's long out of print.

I should also mention the wonderful Hornsey Broadway layout - which is a real work of inspiration.

Edited by Blefuscu
accredited photograph
  • Like 1

I didn't think this old siding at the end of platform 2 was in use.

By my reckoning, this used to be either the goods down (???) 

(An update on the depot sign... I discovered I already have a slightly better view.  Further to this, it seems the sign had only a short life. In the late 70s it proclaimed the coming of electrification,  and by the late 80s it was showing the distance to Edinburgh)

20240301_123342.jpg

20240301_123308.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a terrible instamatic snap from 1976. If it is the same signboard then the sign later altered.

Edit - I see you have found other images with different signage.

Hornsey Depot view

Taken before the introduction of the new electric service, four class 313 units are stabled. 9/10/76.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info

Posted (edited)
On 01/03/2024 at 14:24, Rivercider said:

If it is the same signboard

Thanks! I was pretty sure it's the same sign... but then I noticed there's a second sign in your photo, further down the track!

I don't know how I didn't spot that before.  I've gone back over my images of Hornsey folder and I can see it clearly now. Doh!

So that sign in the foreground becomes the "Hornsey Electric Multiple Unit Depot", the one behind it becomes "Edinburgh 389 London 4", at least that's what I think it says. It's hard to read.

Edit - here's the other image I found of it, from 1977 https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicjoynson/51789991755/

Edited by Blefuscu
  • Like 1

Nice - thank you! It's the 1980 version I'm really looking for - but more angles from the late seventies are very useful. I hadn't noticed that tower on the left before... I wonder if that had come down by 1980?

Here's the cover of my forthcoming book lol...

EMU depot signs.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2024 at 13:18, Blefuscu said:

Nice - thank you! It's the 1980 version I'm really looking for - but more angles from the late seventies are very useful. I hadn't noticed that tower on the left before... I wonder if that had come down by 1980?

Here's the cover of my forthcoming book lol...

EMU depot signs.jpg

The tower was the water tower for the wash plant. I believe it came down in about 2007. It was certainly there when I started my apprenticeship there in 2005, but is missing from photos taken in 2008. 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2024 at 09:40, 5944 said:

The tower was the water tower for the wash plant. I believe it came down in about 2007. It was certainly there when I started my apprenticeship there in 2005, but is missing from photos taken in 2008. 

Thanks, thats good to know. There are a couple of really good images of it from 1975... then I lost sight of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an appointment at the Haringey archives last week and found some nice photos of the area... and a lovely 1:1250 map surveyed in 1981. It looks like the scottish national library have the neighbouring grids from 79 to 81. Now I think I'm going to blow this months budget on maps...

I don't think I can reproduce any of this online, but here's a little bit of the 1981 map!

20240327_141513.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

I had an appointment at the Haringey archives last week and found some nice photos of the area... and a lovely 1:1250 map surveyed in 1981. It looks like the scottish national library have the neighbouring grids from 79 to 81. Now I think I'm going to blow this months budget on maps...

I don't think I can reproduce any of this online, but here's a little bit of the 1981 map!

20240327_141513.jpg

By any chance are you visiting York show this weekend?

5 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

By any chance are you visiting York show this weekend?

Sadly not... I've just spent all my money on maps, so it would be too dangerous 😂

8 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

Sadly not... I've just spent all my money on maps, so it would be too dangerous 😂

Never mind thought you could of brought 313 to see it inthe flesh....are they that expensive? 

Well, they're quite a bit more than a landranger... £22 for the paper copies, £12 for digital, plus £18 royalties per map to the OS, so I'll have to sell a few models to cover them!

I could try and access them through other archives, but I'm a sucker for a nice map.

York is also a bit far for a day trip for me, I think I'd struggle to get that one wife approved 🤔

Hmm... it's at this point you begin to wonder if 2mm wouldn'thave been a better idea. The green lines are meters, I clearly need to nudge some buildings and maybe lose a couple of sidings.

There's a tower block, Dylan Thomas House, off the top of this image that I want to bring in... maybe I can reduce the size of the steel yard - (which is still visible on Google Street View if you travel right to the end of Hampden Road!)

20240404_130009.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hornseywhitebox003.jpg.9d0f85becb662d16349979e884d0d266.jpgHornseywhitebox002.jpg.2eacbe0a88c24be0409078d15e89400e.jpgHornseywhitebox001.jpg.79e4f3be83b829cbc80b642dc1f8e51b.jpg

I have started whiteboxing some rough building shapes over the map, and added my 313 and 55 models for fun too.  I've cut the size of the depot a bit, but it's still far too big for my loft. Hard choices ahead... for now I will work on the station and neighbouring garage as a minimum! The garage is basically still there, kind of. I believe that the Hornsey Historical society have a photo of it from the eighties.

33 minutes ago, Blefuscu said:

Hornseywhitebox003.jpg.9d0f85becb662d16349979e884d0d266.jpgHornseywhitebox002.jpg.2eacbe0a88c24be0409078d15e89400e.jpgHornseywhitebox001.jpg.79e4f3be83b829cbc80b642dc1f8e51b.jpg

I have started whiteboxing some rough building shapes over the map, and added my 313 and 55 models for fun too.  I've cut the size of the depot a bit, but it's still far too big for my loft. Hard choices ahead... for now I will work on the station and neighbouring garage as a minimum! The garage is basically still there, kind of. I believe that the Hornsey Historical society have a photo of it from the eighties.

wow! its huge...thought it was a cameo type layout....how wrong i was!.....normal modelers use the back of a envelope or a bit of old wallpaper for planning

brill...keep it up

g

Posted (edited)

The full work, as it were, is massive. Still nothing on what it was in the 50's.

I dont think there's any way I could do it all in my loft... I've been offered a garage by my brother. I'm not sure how serious he was!

Don't know what's up with my messages, but it would explain why I've never received any. I'll have another look.

Edit=> still no idea why you can't send me a message but I have discovered that I don't know how to send them either.

Edited by Blefuscu