Bramley (Hants) Station.

As many of you are aware I live in Malaysia and am currently building an 00 gauge shelf layout of a fictitious country station somewhere on the Ruabon/Dolgellau line set in circa 1910. For inspiration of the station building I am using Cynwyd, which no longer exists. However, based on photographs of 1910, it appears to be a generic GWR station building very similar to Malvern Wells and Bramley (Hants). I am not sure if Malvern Wells still exists but Bramley (Hants) certainly does.

I know of no one who lives in the Basingstoke area so my question is, does anyone have an array of photographs of the main building of Bramley (Hants) station sufficient for me to scratch build a model. I can work up elevations, etc. as templates using AutoCad by counting bricks (I was an architect in a previous life!).

Thanks,

Rowan.

Edited by Rowan
spelling correction

I would suggest correcting the name in the title might get a better response.

Sorry, checking maps you did mean Bramley, but used Bromley in your text.

Edited by Nick Holliday

There are a small number of photographs of Cynwyd in the following books : Llangollen Line Ruabon to Barmouth Rear & Jones - Foxline and Ruabon to Barmouth Line - Williams - Lightmoor Press.

If you haven't got them the books may be of help in modelling the line - though inevitably most photographs tend to be 1950s / 60s. 

14 hours ago, Innerhome said:

There are a small number of photographs of Cynwyd in the following books : Llangollen Line Ruabon to Barmouth Rear & Jones - Foxline and Ruabon to Barmouth Line - Williams - Lightmoor Press.

If you haven't got them the books may be of help in modelling the line - though inevitably most photographs tend to be 1950s / 60s. 

Thanks for the info. I suspect I have most, if not all, the photographs of Cynwyd station. Sadly, although they give a very good overview, none are detailed enough to enable a 'brick count' survey of the building. Can I clarify, I am not replicating Cynwyd station in its entirety but only using the station building - the layout is just a figment of my imagination.

18 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

I would suggest correcting the name in the title might get a better response.

Sorry, checking maps you did mean Bramley, but used Bromley in your text.

@Nick Holliday You are quite correct - I did mean 'Bramley'. Apologies and the original post has been corrected.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I've got photos I took intending to model it. i'll go and find my hard drive.

Given you are doing a fictional setting, this is pretty similar, although I think the canopy profile looks out. You used to be able to buy the brackets as castings but I cant find them now.

https://railmodel.co.uk/products/country-station-based-on-rhoystyllen-gwr-in-4mm

Edited by Hal Nail

On 05/03/2024 at 16:30, Hal Nail said:

I've got photos I took intending to model it. i'll go and find my hard drive.

Given you are doing a fictional setting, this is pretty similar, although I think the canopy profile looks out. You used to be able to buy the brackets as castings but I cant find them now.

https://railmodel.co.uk/products/country-station-based-on-rhoystyllen-gwr-in-4mm

many thanks @Hal Nail. I have to say, I am very tempted with the kit but thanks for posting the photos.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rowan said:

many thanks @Hal Nail. I have to say, I am very tempted with the kit but thanks for posting the photos.

Was the same here. I came across the kit after taking the photos when intending to scratch build one.

I actually bought a Timber Tracks Chalford first (same style building but had a canopy built into the roof) but then ended up getting this as well. I'll build both and sell one on I suspect.

Actually thinking about it, in 4mm there is a Protoype Models card kit of Chalford which still turn up. Years ago I used that clad in embossed bricks as a much cheaper way of doing it. I put a different canopy on mine to make it more standard.

Edited by Hal Nail