Cheapest DCC sound

Soundtraxx Econami UK steam or diesel decoders, 1 amp and 2 amp versions available. Dearer than Hornby's HM7000 decoders but cheaper than Zimo and ESU.

They have multiple selectable sounds for the main engine or steam sounds, and horns and whistles. 

I have used a few for diesel sounds with Sulzer (used in class 47 and D0260, Lion) or English Electric (used in LMS twins using class 37 sounds as being close) types, but am not that impressed with the DMU sound (based on Derby lightweight Test Coach Iris, I believe). Also selectable are classes 20, 31 and 66/67.

I have found that you get what you pay for.
I tried a Hornby TTS decoder a while back. I was aware of some of its limitations, but I found that they annoyed me so much that I ended up going silent with that model instead.

Some have suggested that it would not cost a lot more to add wheel synchronisation but, for my D&E models, I really could not care less about that. What I would prefer is support for advanced consisting. Somebody else may find ABC braking useful. Whichever Hornby could have chosen to make a 'slightly less cheaper than cheap' decoder would upset the other factions.

So you could ask yourself what features you really need want?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 05/03/2024 at 08:42, Nigelcliffe said:

Cheapest DCC Sound - "Virtual Sound Decoder", which is a component within JMRI.   Free.  Plays out either through computer speakers, or through Android throttle running Engine Driver.

Great suggestion. Engine Driver's virtual sound also works with DCC-EX systems running on Arduino boards. 

For non-loco sounds like station announcements and level crossings the £3 Dfplayer mp3 player can be placed under a layout with a speaker. It can be controlled by DCC-EX via Engine Driver or by triggers like hall or infrared sensors. 

On 04/03/2024 at 23:32, SRman said:

Soundtraxx Econami UK steam or diesel decoders, 1 amp and 2 amp versions available. Dearer than Hornby's HM7000 decoders but cheaper than Zimo and ESU.

They have multiple selectable sounds for the main engine or steam sounds, and horns and whistles. 

I have used a few for diesel sounds with Sulzer (used in class 47 and D0260, Lion) or English Electric (used in LMS twins using class 37 sounds as being close) types, but am not that impressed with the DMU sound (based on Derby lightweight Test Coach Iris, I believe). Also selectable are classes 20, 31 and 66/67.

Thanks for the Econami suggestion.

I see they have a considerably more powerful 2W audio amplifier than the Hornby HM7000 range.

That could be handy for outdoor use with larger speakers, e.g. fitting the 2A version in a small G Scale loco. 

• Like 1