Milk Delivery to a factory early BR

Hi all hopefully this is the right place for this, I am planning a layout depicting a biscuit factory in the early BR period.

I don’t have much rolling stock and I am making deliberate appropriate purchases. With this in mind, would a factory get their milk in a 6 wheel tanker or in churns in an open wagon etc?

I am not sure a biscuit factory would have a method of extracting the milk from the 6 wheeled tanker but I am happy to be enlightened 

Thanks in advance 

Tim

• Like 1

Hi Tim,

Assuming it's actually liquid milk and not powder then probably bulk road tanker. Otherwise, I imagine you're talking whole tank volumes for serious production. Powder would be in vans, of course. 

Adam

• Like 1

Condensed milk in tins was common in homes and no doubt larger cans for commercial bakers, Libby's, McNeil and Purvis had empty tins delivered to their factory in the specially built lot of 100 diagram  1/214 end door vans.

• Like 3

Thanks all, I think I am back to largely box vans. 

My layout is era 4 with a 48DS (lined green) for motive power, so I could maybe get away with a coal wagon for a boiler house?

I am planning to do some shunting (inglenook style) so would like some variety if possible.

But of course rule 1 does apply :)

@sirbud thanks for the video, I am planning a covered unloading platform which I believe they had

Thanks

Tim

• Like 1