PICKERING MODEL RAILWAY SHOW 6th/7th APRIL

silverlink

The Spring Pickering model railway show will take place over the weekend of 6/7th April 2024 at the Memorial Hall, 34 Potter Hill, Pickering, YO18 8AA.

There will be at least ten layouts attending covering many gauges from ‘N’ to ‘0’ plus a 5” gauge live steam loco. There will also be demonstrators and trade support.

The show is open from 10am – 5pm Saturday and 10am – 3-30pm Sunday.

More details on layouts attending soon.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Layouts attending are as follows,

Minerton and Bridgend (0)

Steeple Bumpleigh (EM)

Chester Road (00)

Holly Bank Grove MPD (00)

South Millfields (00)

Lomond Street (00)

Outwell Village (00)

Mie Castle (009)

Settrington (N)

West Bowling (N)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not long to go now, Ian - 4 days and counting!

We know the first class venue and the location (almost next door to North Yorkshire Moors Railway) make it a popular show for visitors, but it'll be interesting to see how busy we are compared with our usual Scarborough venue at this time of year.

For those of you who regularly attend our August show, rest assured it's still going ahead as usual.  It's just that our Scarborough Easter venue was not available this year - hence the change.

We'd appreciate feedback...

Roland

A little bitter-sweet news.

Scarborough & District Railway Modellers' Lomond Street layout is appearing at our 2024 Pickering Show this weekend as its final swan song. Built in 2015 and featuring at over 40 exhibition shows, it has now been sold.

Many thanks to all the exhibition managers, from those of you up in Scotland to those down on the English channel coast, and all in-between, for inviting us to share our hobby with you.

Lomond Street portrays a fictional Glasgow depot.  It has had a chequered career, being brought back into temporary service during the late 1980s.  However, with the subsequent collapse of the already dilapidated engine shed, the depot's days seemed numbered...

Meanwhile, with an increase in stay-at-home holidays, passenger numbers have been growing on the new Scottish Heritage Railways, such as the Western Highland Line. The new Jacobite steam train journeys were also proving popular.  So, it was decided to inject a further lease of life into the depot and a new engine shed was built.  

Lomond Street now services these famous heritage locos, both diesel and steam, as they journey from Glasgow to the far reaches of Scotland.  It can also relieve pressure on the main line service depots.

This will be the last chance to see this first-class '00' gauge layout.

Lomond_Street_photo_web.jpg

• Like 2

I popped into the show late on Saturday afternoon. I have to say that this was the friendliest show I’ve ever been to; almost all exhibitors were very generous with their time and advice!

Outwell Village was probably my favourite. A real treat to see a sleepy East Anglian backwater on the eve of the Second World War. The track work was particularly well done in code 75, so much so that I struggled to believe it wasn’t EM! The scratch built buildings and the weathering of the stock was also very inspirational. 

I also thought Chester Road was a fine example of what you can do with a small baseboard, and the operator gave me some excellent advice on my own layout project. 

I enjoyed Settrington, as funnily enough I had passed the extant station site when driving up to Pickering that day! The attention to prototype detail was very well done, especially given it’s N scale. 

I appreciated Holly Bank Road and Lomond Street too. Many pictures were taken. 

Finally, a very reasonably priced refreshment kiosk made a nice change from some of the more expensive catering seen at ‘bigger’ shows. 

I’ll be sure to attend the summer show in August. Keep up the good work! 

CoY