BR (W) Mogo 1966

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Slightly specific request but I'm interested in any clear photos of planked Mogos a year or so either side of 1966.

I've got loads from earlier and obviously Paul Bartlett's excellent coverage from a bit later but I've never seen one from the boxed lettering era. I'm assuming they did get this in normal use or had they all gone to departmental use by then?

Edited by Hal Nail
specified planked, not plywood

48 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Slightly specific request but I'm interested in any clear photos of Mogos a year or so either side of 1966.

I've got loads from earlier and obviously Paul Bartlett's excellent coverage from a bit later but I've never seen one from the boxed lettering era. I'm assuming they did get this in normal use or had they all gone to departmental use by then?

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/products/parkside-dundas-o-gauge-ps34-gwr-12-ton-mogo-motor-car-van-kit-w-wheels

This is a model, but is this the type of lettering you are looking for?

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/products/parkside-dundas-o-gauge-ps34-gwr-12-ton-mogo-motor-car-van-kit-w-wheels

This is a model, but is this the type of lettering you are looking for?

Thanks. Yes it is (although I'm not wedded to that livery, it was just my assumption that's what they would have - which I may have got from that kit on reflection).

I just haven't ever come across a prototype photo from then and wanted to see how shabby the planks were and whether features such as buffers etc had been changed. I'd literally just found the Bristol pics but being a bit newer, I did wonder if the plywood ones outlasted the original planked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/03/2024 at 22:48, br2975 said:

W126420 (sans boxed lettering) at Hertford in 1965.

From a print inmy collection, photographer unknown.

W126420-hertford-1965-mod-1.jpg

Thanks. So the XP has moved to make room for the data panel and looks like the tare might have been repainted (although could be a stain). Generally the condition is pretty good though, apart from one new plank on the end door. Various later photos people have posted are much more scruffy but thats probably more appropriate for 70s onwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 29/03/2024 at 11:17, br2975 said:

c.1971 - Slough, Berkshire.

W123983

Slough, circa 1971

interesting looking at this again, has the whole thing been repainted leaving the lettered planks alone, or have the lettered areas been redone (in early style) at some point? I think the latter, as the light coloured bits of the end doors look in better nick. Perhaps in an attempt to mix paint they've come up with something lighter.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1