RMweb

DCC fitted loco slow to respond

Hi, I’m a newbie to model railway and am using DCC. My problem is that I’ve fitted a 21 pin ESU sound decoder to a Bachmann class 47 and when I place the loco onto the test track and press f1 for the engine start it will take approximately 10-15 seconds to respond. Once started I operate the throttle control and again it takes around 15 seconds to move. I changed the sound decoder and replaced with the chip that I had removed and on operating the throttle control the loco responds immediately. I’ve considered the idea of possibly being able to alter a CV, but have no idea which it maybe. As a foot note, I have upgraded three other locos with the same type of decoder at the same time and have no problems. If someone could help I would be very grateful.

Chris

Do you know what sound project you have on the decoder? If it is from someone like Legomanbiffo, Jamie Goodman or Coastal DCC, they should be able to explain what they have programmed into their project & which values can be adjusted.

It should respond immediately but that does not mean it will move right away. If starting from silent, it should go through engine start-up procedure, which could even begin with a few (quiet) cranks of a fuel pump.

The start-up procedure can take from a few seconds to a few minutes to full idle.

Once idling, moving off can be delayed too. The project could include brake release, engine revving & other things I have forgotten.

A workaround is to start the loco moving before switching on the sound. It will then fade in to running mode. The drawback is that it does something weird like going through startup & shutdown after you've shut it down.

In order to adjust any CVs, it is very useful to know what they currently are.

• Agree 1

Hi guys, many thanks for replies. I purchased from Legomanbiffo. The horn etc responds straight away.

ive had other decoders from leggomanbiffo before without this happening, it may be prudent to contact him to see if he can shed any light on it. 👍

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, ST23HOG said:

Hi guys, many thanks for replies. I purchased from Legomanbiffo. The horn etc responds straight away.

ive had other decoders from leggomanbiffo before without this happening, it may be prudent to contact him to see if he can shed any light on it. 👍

Many of biff's newer projects have long engine start sequences and brake releases.

Generally it'll only do it once per power cycle so once its went through the process it won't do it again unless the loco is removed from the track or power is cut (either intentionally or by a short)

• RMweb Premium

I agree it is probably the long sequence of the engine starting up; it will not move until that has completed.  What you can do is, with the sound off, move your controller to speed step one, then turn the sound on.