‘The Railway Station Man’ film - location?

Dava

• RMweb Premium

‘The Railway Station Man’ is a minor enigmatic film from 1992 being screened on BBC4 tonight 13.3.24.

It brought together Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland long after ‘Don’t Look Now’ in the setting of County Donegal, NW Ireland.

It centres on the restoration of an old railway station amid political and personal tensions.

The question is, which station? I reckon it is either Buncrana, Fahan or Tooban Junction on the Londonderry & Lough Swilly as the station building resembles the quite ornate structures of that line. There is a single eaved wooden signal box in Swilly style, this may be a recreation. A authentic engraved brass plate on signalling equipment reads Enniskillen. landscape is bleak bogland with spectacular coast and mountains. 

Wikipedia says it was filmed in Glencolumbkille, it may have been but there was never a station there. Does anyone know? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hello Dava

I originally viewed this film over 20 years ago so was pleased that it was being shown late night and even more pleased to see that it is now also available on iPlayer.

It is correct saying that the film (mostly) was based in Glencolumbkille. Apparently there were plans to extend the line the CDR line from Killybegs to Glencolumbkille but this never happened.

I Believe the location of "the station" is Cashelnagor on the Lough Swilly Railway Burtonport branch.

The station house in the film is far too grand for a rural narrow gauge line.

The set creators must have done some magic to build the station house and signal box.

However, the setting, roads, crossing pillars and surrounding mountains all seem to fit the bill.

Cashelnagor Station is now a holiday let  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g21382463-d21382159-Reviews-Cashelnagor_Railway_Station-Cashelnagor_County_Donegal.html#/media/21382159/692498681:p/?albumid=101&type=0&category=101 and there is more info from Roger Farnsworth has photos of the station right at the end of this link https://rogerfarnworth.com/2023/05/05/the-burtonport-extension-of-the-londonderry-lough-swilly-railway-part-2/

Regards

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Thanks, so it was the Lough Swilly but I was at the wrong end! I visited Burtonport station about 30 years ago, the station building was derelict and we didn’t visit any others on the BPER.

We stayed in a converted barn overlooking Killybegs Bay so explored the County Donegal stations including the museum at Donegal and the railway at Finntown which was running with Belgian tram trailers at the time.

Edited by Dava

I watched the film this evening, and yes it is Cashelnagor. We were on holiday in the area last year and had a mooch around the station, which is now two holiday cottages.

P1030162.JPG.9bfdcc728cf6668783138dcfae8bbbdc.JPG

Graham 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1