Platform Length

I have  a (roughly) 20' by 9'6" shed with effective3ly and oval with fiddle yard on one long side, through station on the other, (very) loosely inspired by the Midland line from Derby to Manchester through the Pennines. I decided on long trains, 8 or 9 coaches as expresses and the platforms are to length - about 9 feet. I have got as far as track and platforms, no station buildings or similar as yet. I was a little taken aback by how the platforms dominate, as obviously they more or less fill the straight (in fact slightly curved) section between the end curved sections taking the tracks back to the fiddle yard. I decided on 4' and 3' radius curves so these take up a bit of space, but also enable fairly close coupling, which i like.

A 3 coach local with a 4MT or similar on the front does look a bit lost, but then it should.

The point I making (perhaps badly) is that it is worth considering the overall look within the scenic envelope as well as the length of the trains. Had I realised how dominant these platforms would be, I might have worked out another compromise. I am persisting, though, and perhaps ( as noted above) once some furniture is attached to the platforms and some background scenery is in place, it may be different, but I have my doubts.

i should mention this is in 00.

Edited by Derekl
Add scale
  • Like 2

I always print my track plan out full size from Anyrail before starting to build. Just printing it out full size and putting a train on it will usually cause me to make changes.

IMG_0497.jpeg.c5c8cc5d449ec32f63136aef28d77f8e.jpeg

Edited by Chris M
Photo added
  • Like 10

On the subject of platform lengths , being an acceptable length of a model platform compared with a prototype. Whilst being faced with the situation, with a potential house move, and the realisation that the present layouts in N gauge will not fit without considerable modification, the option is to rebuild and consider one of my favourite locations. Looking at several options, and with an understanding of how railways developed, certainly platform lengths changed over the years mostly increasing as traffic developed or coach lengths grew. Certainly there as was a lot of commonality in lengths, shorter that 300 feet , under 350 feet , 400 feet and the longer lengths at mainline and terminal stations. Electrification on the Southern saw platforms grow to accommodate at least 12 coaches 500/600ft . Modellers can work out what the scale length equates to in their model choices. The point is around selective compression in both the length and width to be representative, and also to present a balanced perspective. Interesting whilst looking at prospective locations to model a number of similarities in lengths quickly became apparent,  which demonstrate how we modellers under estimate passenger train compositions. A fellow modeller kindly provided me with information on prototype platform lengths from the link below.
https://www.railwaydata.co.uk

Using this reference source and which contains details of all the remaining stations on the railway network the platform length can be estimated and resized to your chosen scale. Using this tool as a guide , one can quickly show how railway modellers underestimate platform lengths on their models. As a former commuter I know understand how platforms where lengthen as traffic patterns changed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/04/2024 at 18:00, The Johnster said:

Common operating mistake at exhibitions, BLT layouts; train arrives and stops short for the loco to be uncoupled and draw forward for running around.  No, unless the buildings are placed to facilitate it, you are making your passenger walk to the exit gate in the rain and having to unload parcels out in the open as well.  Stop close to the buffers, wait for the passengers to clear the premises and the parcels/mail work to be done, then set back before uncoupling the loco.  Run around, couple on the other end, and wait a minute while the guard performs the brake continuity test (I will probably walk away from your layout if you simply continue to push the stock back towards the buffers or stay in that postion), then set back to the buffers.  Passenger can now board conveniently and loading parcels/mails be done in proximity to the office and messroom.

I agree about carrying out all the relevant operations properly but I do compress the time required for things like coupling & uncoupling, passengers boarding and alighting, and brake tests. At an exhibution, If nothing at all happens for a whole minute while the imaginary brake test is suposedly carried out or for two minutes to give the imaginary passengers time to open the imaginary doors, then everyone else watching will probably walk away.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite, unless there's something else going on to provide some action.  But a few seconds, perhaps five or so with the loco stopped, to show that the operator is aware of the procedure, makes a huge difference.  I will certainly walk away from any layout where the loco sets back on to the stock and unceremoniously pushes it towards the buffers (fine with goods shunting of course), though.  In reality, the stock is left with a handbrake and the vacuum brakes hard on, so the move is physically impossible.

One would not perhaps expect it on overtly train-set layouts without scale pretensions, or Lego and such; fair enough, but it has spoiled the effect for me on some otherwise superb layouts, including P4 examples.  Of course, there is no reason that I should assume that layout operators, especially in this day and age, are conversant with traditional railway operating procedures, but the information is out there, and the procedures can be observed on heritage railways, and I think it is reasonable to expect a grounding in the basics. 

I could go off on a rant about standards of driving and operation at shows, but will restrain myself for now...  Much of the problem is that layouts are only erected to be operated at shows, and the operators are thrown in at the deep end with no experience of operating the layout, no 'route knowledge'.  I reccomend operating sessions to train them up, as well as to check the layout for problems before going to the show, but this can be a problem for large club layouts.  Ideally, in a perfect world where operation is correctly prototypical, one would need almost as many people working a station as the real thing did, see Borchester Market...

• Like 3

On 06/04/2024 at 18:00, The Johnster said:

Common operating mistake at exhibitions, BLT layouts; train arrives and stops short for the loco to be uncoupled and draw forward for running around.  No, unless the buildings are placed to facilitate it, you are making your passenger walk to the exit gate in the rain and having to unload parcels out in the open as well.  Stop close to the buffers, wait for the passengers to clear the premises and the parcels/mail work to be done, then set back before uncoupling the loco.  Run around, couple on the other end, and wait a minute while the guard performs the brake continuity test (I will probably walk away from your layout if you simply continue to push the stock back towards the buffers or stay in that postion), then set back to the buffers.  Passenger can now board conveniently and loading parcels/mails be done in proximity to the office and messroom.

Hi,

operators not taking the time to complete the coupling and brake test operations is one of my bugbears when watching a layout at an exhibition.  Once maybe operator error but two?  That's when I walk away no matter how high the standard the rest of the layout.  Bit like spoiling the shop for a hap'worth of tar!

Roja

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2024 at 15:25, The Johnster said:

Quite, unless there's something else going on to provide some action.  But a few seconds, perhaps five or so with the loco stopped, to show that the operator is aware of the procedure, makes a huge difference.  I will certainly walk away from any layout where the loco sets back on to the stock and unceremoniously pushes it towards the buffers (fine with goods shunting of course), though.  In reality, the stock is left with a handbrake and the vacuum brakes hard on, so the move is physically impossible.

One would not perhaps expect it on overtly train-set layouts without scale pretensions, or Lego and such; fair enough, but it has spoiled the effect for me on some otherwise superb layouts, including P4 examples.  Of course, there is no reason that I should assume that layout operators, especially in this day and age, are conversant with traditional railway operating procedures, but the information is out there, and the procedures can be observed on heritage railways, and I think it is reasonable to expect a grounding in the basics. 

I could go off on a rant about standards of driving and operation at shows, but will restrain myself for now...  Much of the problem is that layouts are only erected to be operated at shows, and the operators are thrown in at the deep end with no experience of operating the layout, no 'route knowledge'.  I reccomend operating sessions to train them up, as well as to check the layout for problems before going to the show, but this can be a problem for large club layouts.  Ideally, in a perfect world where operation is correctly prototypical, one would need almost as many people working a station as the real thing did, see Borchester Market...

I find it astonishing that brakes on coaching stock are not standard for DCC layouts.  You can just about couple up a 1950s 3 rail Hornby Dublo Duchess to a rake of 3 rail metal wheel coaches without moving them but it seems completely impossible with 2020 era models, the whole train moves before the coupling couples! 
The number of operators is relevant, it should be possible for several operators to work a medium size "Buckingham" or even "Marylebone" Terminus with DCC  pilot driver, main line driver(s) signalman.
Then again with decent signalling even a BLT can come alive with little action, a few block bells clanging, the signals coming off, train arriving, signals going back.  loco setting stock back so it can use the loop, running round setting back onto the stock and then fast forward 2 hours. Signals off, train starts train entering section.    Train disappears into hidden sidings. and wait for someone else to look interested.  And then the daily goods OK the 20 times daily goods at an exhibition sorting wagons to be left from out going.   It would look a lot better than "Flashburton / Moronampstead" with a Manor on 2 coaches, a Dean goods in primer on shed and a Terrier tank as station pilot,